• Colleen

July 27, 2021 at 11:59 am

Excellent column @jenc with great summer tips. LOVE the snow cone picture! Put a big smile on my face! What is the red on top of it? I’m assuming strawberry or something like that but for some reason it looks like hot sauce or tomato sauce to me. I’m like, maybe it’s a Texas thing? LOL!

• jen-cueva

July 28, 2021 at 9:45 am

Aww, thanks, @colleensteele. That was my first and only snow cone this season so far. It was a pineapple margarita snow cone with chamoy.

Chamoy is a bit sweet but a little spicy, too. It is more a Texas thing, I believe.

So funny, it does look like a tomato-like sauce. I usually get that or sour spay on my snow cones, hehe.

Does anyone else here like sour and spicy snowcones? I prefer that over the cream-based ones.

• Colleen

July 30, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Oooh, I want to try a pineapple margarita snow cone with chamoy. It sounds delicious! My mouth is watering imagining what it tastes like.

I’m not familiar with the sour spray either. Maybe I’ll spot theses options on the boardwalk when I visit the Jersey shore.

• Susi Steppins

July 29, 2021 at 4:08 pm

@jenc I have never had anything except a normal everyday snow cone.

Sounds interesting though.

As you know, I am all about the sweet frozen treats in the summer.

Aside from that though, my sister sent me a gift.

They are cooling towels.

They are specifically made of a material that helps keep them cool and moist and they work great.

I wet one, wring it out and wrap it around my shoulders and neck and it really helps.

We are fortunate that we have a/c, but it has trouble keeping up when it gets above 90.

Hope everyone stays cool out there.

• jen-cueva

July 30, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Hi @s-steppins, yes, the rel snow cone is all I usually get minus sour spray or chamoy, But we have had many snowcones when my daughter grew up. It was our weekly summer treat.

That is how I learned of the cream based ones, which are more like ice cream.

Spe3aking of cool treats, my PHriend here in Texas shared about a Blue Bell ice cream flavor, Southern Blackberry Cobbler. That is my fave cobble, so we finally got some yesterday, and I had two small bites last night, and it was so good.

IDK if y’all can get BB there in Denver, but it is delicious. I hate that it only comes in a half-gallon size. That means I WILL eat most of it, LOL.

Those cooling towels are really helpful with cooling off. Do you know which brand they are? I am also grateful that you do have AC.

How is the smoke there now? Any better?

• Colleen

July 30, 2021 at 1:47 pm

Oh boy @jenc. That Southern Blackberry Cobbler sounds like something Cullen would love. I’ll have to see if I can find it for him.