Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Treatments and Therapies Do You Have Heart Caths While Sedated?

• Terese Tuohey

May 3, 2023 at 3:30 pm

I don’t have to stop Coumadin for regular dental checkups.  My Hematologist told me not to stop it for a colonoscopy either.  He said it was safer to keep the Coumadin up at a therapeutic level for that procedure than not – at least for me. I did have a colonoscopy, did not stop the Coumadin, and had no problems.

Generally, the fear is that since the Coumadin thins out your blood, if there is any cutting to be done in a procedure, you might not stop the bleeding as quickly as you could without the Coumadin in your bloodstream.

• jen-cueva

May 4, 2023 at 1:12 pm

Hi @tervo, thanks for sharing your experiences with Coumadin and other procedures. I’m grateful that you had the colonoscopy without any problems. Because I do know that is often on the list of things to hold a day or two before mine. However, I haven’t been on it in years. I was only on blood thinners early in my diagnosis.

I’m anemic, so it was not helping me much, and my hematologist took me off after speaking with my PH team.

Page 2 of 2