• Have you gotten your flu shot?

Posted by Kathleen Sheffer on November 7, 2018 at 9:47 pm

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends an annual influenza vaccine, or “flu shot,” for patients with pulmonary hypertension and their caregivers.

The Pulmonary Hypertension Association writes that the best time to get a flu shot is by the end of October, but you can get one throughout flu season.

Have you gotten a flu shot? Have you asked other people in your life to get one?

I take immunosuppressant medications to prevent organ rejection because of my transplant so being protected from the flu is especially important for me. Anyone who wants to spend a chunk of time around me needs to get a flu shot. I’ve been bugging my roommates about it for months now. Grateful that my parents, sister, and boyfriend happily got their flu shots to keep me safe. Have you had any issues getting your caregivers to get their flu shot?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Brian Gilbert

November 7, 2018 at 10:34 pm

I attempted to get mine around the 20th of October and every place I tried was out of stock. I finally got mine on November 5th. I was a little worried. @charlotte-gilbert was able to get hers at Duke since she’s a patient. She got hers early October. I usually skip the flu shot as I’m extremely cautious with hand washing, etc. and have been very lucky in not getting the flu. But now with her being on the transplant list, we can’t take any chances of a setback. I’ll continue to get it going forward.

• Kathleen Sheffer

November 7, 2018 at 11:16 pm

Awesome, @brian-gilbert! I got mine at Walgreens. It’s a bit controversial and some years unclear if it’s actually all that helpful, but definitely not worth taking the risk. So glad you are covered!

• Brittany Foster

November 8, 2018 at 6:57 am

Great topic Kathleen!
    I got my flu shot late September! I didn’t have any reactions to it. I push all of my family members to get one (not sure if they have yet). My boyfriend is unfortunately someone who thinks that if I’m protected with the flu shot then he doesn’t need to get one. He ended up getting the flu pretty bad and was bed bound for a few weeks last January so maybe he will learn his lesson this year! If not, I certainly will not be able to take care of him if it happens again. One of those things where i would just keep saying “I told you so” ! My immediate family usually does all get it. I have a sister who doesn’t feel shots and is very tolerable of any discomfort and I have another sister (the older of the 2 ) who cries at the sight of a needle . But she still gets it! Just takes some hand holding and a sticker after hahahaha!