• Posted by Brittany Foster on April 29, 2019 at 11:22 am

We all know that it’s already hard for those of us with PH to breathe on a daily basis. Adding seasonal allergies to the mix is just terrible! Lately, my watery eyes, stuffy nose, and constant cough have been getting the best of me. I don’t remember ever being this bad around allergy season. It seemed like post diagnosis, allergies and my reaction to allergens just worsened. I am not sure if it’s any of the medication or just my body changing and reacting to things differently.

Something that has helped me through allergy season is making sure I have my inhalers with me for when I have a coughing fit, extra hand sanitizer to protect myself, I always wear my oxygen when I go for walks outside, and I try to take medications that are approved by my cardiologists. Some medications for cough and cold, especially those with a decongestant are known to make my heart beat a lot faster. Mucinex has been a good one for me and has worked. I also take Benadryl for when my allergies get really bad (despite the sleepy effect from it).

Have you noticed an increase in sensitivity to allergies since your diagnosis? How do you help manage your breathing and PH during allergy season? What medications and over the counter remedies work best for you and your allergy symptoms?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Robin Taylor

May 2, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Hi Brittany! When I keep my allergies under control, I feel so much better! I have a ton of allergies…grass, trees, hay, dust, mold, some dogs, some cats…the list is crazy. I’ve been this way since I was a child. Weekly shots, inhalers…now I mostly use OTC allergy relief. My regimen consists of 24 hr Allegra & two sprays of Flonase. Most days this enough, but occasionally I add a Benedryl when I start having a sneezing fit. I also use a saline rinse several times a day to flush out the irritants. And lastly, if I’m stuffy I will use Afrin for a couple of days. A little side note: I go to Pulmonary Rehab twice a week. I would use their concentrator and a hose dedicated to me. On and off, I would have a sneezing fit sometimes during and many times after. It got so bad that I would take a Benedryl as a precaution. It usually would take days to feel better. Finally I decided to try taking my own O2 tanks to work out (the big ones, I’m on 10C for exertion)… and guess what? The sneezing fits stopped! My theory is that mold was accumulating in the concentrator and blowing straight into my nose! Of course, PR won’t confirm and no one else has had the same reaction, but I sure have felt better continuously since I made the change. ❤️

• Brittany Foster

May 2, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Hi Robin,
      It definitely seems like you have had quite the run around with your allergies ! I’m sorry you have been going through this even since you were younger. I know allergies can be such a pain for so many people making them take added medications, get the FUN (not) allergy testing, inhalers, the whole bit! I’m glad you were able to make that adjustment with your oxygen tank and bringing your own with you to Pulmonary rehab. I probably would stick to my own equipment too! Especially because those things also need to be filtered out a lot too!