• The ‘Spoonie’ Movement

Posted by Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator on July 3, 2018 at 8:34 am

If you’re active on the Internet, particularly in groups and forums related to chronic illness, you’ve definitely noticed the term “spoonie” being thrown around.

Spoonie is a term coined by a chronic illness blogger, who used spoons to demonstrate how much energy a person with a chronic illness has each day, and how much is used up doing simple tasks like washing or getting dressed.

Check out this video to learn more about this expression: What Is a ‘Spoonie’?

As this video by Hot Pink Sun explains, the symbolism stuck and spoonie is now a widely used term for anyone who has a chronic illness. Can you relate to this term? Do you use it yourself?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

July 5, 2018 at 10:59 am

I love the spoon theory! I wrote a column post about how it relates to my life: “Life with More Spoons”. It’s such a simple way to explain pulmonary hypertension and associated fatigue to my friends without going into all the details of the diagnosis.

• Brittany Foster

July 5, 2018 at 5:16 pm

I agree! Something that is easy to explain to others instead of getting into all the medical terms that would most likely go over my friend’s heads lol! I also talk in terms of how much battery is left for the day or fuel. Like for example I’ll say something like “I’m running on E right now” and they get the hint that I’m completely wiped !