Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition What are some of your favorite soft foods?

• What are some of your favorite soft foods?

Posted by Brittany Foster on December 3, 2019 at 12:37 pm

Sunday night I woke up with terrible pains coming from my feeding tube (j tube). I have been having terrible pains in it sine I got it placed in the beginning of September. Doctors have been trying out different types of tubes for me but they were just causing me infections, pain, and making me feel worse than I already did. I was only able to get about 500 calories in at a time due to the amount of discomfort I was feeling. I started eating more soft foods like ice cream with protein, cream of wheat with protein powder in it, etc and just getting in orally what I was taking in through the tube. Even though I still have trouble with vomiting and still vomit at least 30% of what I was eating, the tube just was not worth the aggravation and pain it was causing.

Now that I am strictly eating soft foods to try to help my esophagus out with getting things down to my stomach easier, what are some of your favorite soft foods? Cut up pasta, potatoes consistency (mashed up well ), and ice cream consistency are all safe for me to eat with minimum pain and less vomiting.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Brittany,
    “Taste of Home” offers some suggestions. Scroll to the bottom of the article and you will see “Try These Soft Food Recipes” and not the little “>” where you can swipe through several options and not just the 3 on the page.

I think many of them might still be a little too much for you but maybe a few you might be able to try.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/soft-food-ideas/

• Brittany Foster

December 3, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Colleen,
    Thank you SO much for the suggestion. I am trying to get things healthier like things with ice cream consistency and making sure to put some extra protein nutrition though shake drinks and protein milk when I make oatmeal or cream of wheat. It has been adding more nutrients as well as more calories (which I need !)

• Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Brittany,
    I will keep my eyes, ears and taste buds open for any worthy suggestions I can find for you. Especially some good holiday ones!

• Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 4:28 pm

Here is another that looked good to me with the bonus of being deemed “healthy”.
    https://www.yummly.com/recipes/healthy-soft-foods

• Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Just want to point out that this “yummly” recipes include pureed meat dishes. Have you tried anything like that or would that be too hard on you?

• Brittany Foster

December 4, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Thank you so much for these links, Colleen! That is so helpful for me to have something like that. I have been doing very thick shakes and more of like potatoes really mashed up consistency. The other things like meat are just too hard on my body right now and I have been noticing that even the thinner shakes are just coming right back up and really not staying in as well as the thicker consistency things that are still soft and not a choking hazard. It is hard to find a balance but without using the j tube in the last few weeks because of the pain, I feel like I am forced to. My body at least just needs a break from it until they can come up with a better plan or a different tube or something that won’t cause me as much pain and sensitivity.

• Colleen

December 4, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Brittany,
    I keep praying they find a better option for you. I know you have an excellent team. Have they reached out to other hospitals and clinics to see if there are new options out there they might not be aware of? Or sometimes through trial and error things are discovered by other doctors when dealing with a complicated case such as yourself. My son many times has been the, “Well, we haven’t dealt with this before,” patient, which inspired desperate calls to other teams nation wide. Sometimes, when you least expect it, a new and better idea falls in their laps.

• Brittany Foster

December 4, 2019 at 4:39 pm

Colleen,
      I am giving my body a much needed break from the pain right now, but I will be discussing with my team probably as soon as next week regarding what the plan is and if they are going to want to put in another tube and they better get that tube right and have it not hurt as bad to the point where I have no other choice but to remove it. That is what the problem is. I know that I need it to supplement the calories that I am unable to intake by mouth because let’s face it, 500 calories a day (plus throwing up) will not be enough to help my body fight through all of this. It is a hard decision but I know that particular tube needed to come out.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    December 5, 2019 at 11:06 am

Sorry to hear that your not able to eat Brittany. That really sucks. For a few months I could only eat soft foods. I ate would cook big batches of egg custard, if you like eggs it’s really good. It has nutmeg and cinnamon in it. It’s packed with protein . It doesn’t taste like eggs. It’s also made with milk. I can give you the recipe if your interested? I actually ate it a lot in the hospital and got the recipe from the cafeteria! Lol and I also drank protein shakes, milk shakes , soup broths but it was hard. I was still cooking for my kids and yet I couldn’t eat any of it! It was very frustrating. I am now on a low sodium, high protein, bland diet? It’s nuts! I just try to eat what I can. And egg custard always gives me energy it taste good.

• Brittany Foster

December 5, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Shannon,
      That does sound really good. Almost like an eggnog recipe but thicker? That’s what it seems like from the ingredients at least. I am glad that you were able to get the recipe while in the hospital, that’s at least one good thing that came out of that hospital stay! I always enjoyed the shakes that they would make in the hospital especially the peanut butter and chocolate ones. They were made with ensure so it added extra calories and protein to it and it didn’t taste as bad as just trying to drink those shakes on their own. I don’t know about you, but sometimes those supplements really bother my stomach if they aren’t thickened or mixed with other things like a frozen banana and peanut butter.