Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members Are You A Caregiver Who Struggles With Brain Fog?

• Are You A Caregiver Who Struggles With Brain Fog?

Posted by Colleen on June 16, 2022 at 7:05 pm

Brain fog can be a side-effect of medication, caused by exhaustion and stress, a symptom of PH and/or an effect of a coexisting condition. Most PH patients have dealt with brain fog in one form or another, but what about caregivers?

Caregivers certainly experience their share of exhaustion, stress and emotional fatigue and when they do, it has been my experience that it can bring on the brain fog.

I often catch myself — or am caught by others — repeating myself, forgetting what I was about to do, and losing my train of thought. A few times a day is tolerable but more than that is usually an indication that it’s time for me to take a mental health break. I will put off what I can and spend that time resting.

Are you a caregiver who struggles with brain fog? Share your experiences and tips on how you deal with it.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

June 17, 2022 at 11:13 am

Hi @colleensteele, yes, brain fog is common for PH patients and caregivers. For caregivers, I think that overdoing and not sleeping well or pure exhaustion leads to brain fog.

With caregivers trying to balance so many tasks. They often neglect adequate nutrition, too, which can contribute to brain fog.

I’m a PH patient who experiences brain fog daily. But working in nursing, I often found many of my caregivers were neglecting themselves, and their top complaint or excuse was not enough time, or “I got busy and forgot.”

Are you a caregiver who finds those comments relatable?

Speaking for Manny, he often neglects himself when he’s so concerned about me. If I’m in the hospital and not cooking, etc. He often needs reminders to eat, and at times, he says he can’t.

Your suggestion of taking mental health breaks is excellent. I would add getting adequate nutrition and asking for help, which is easier said than done.

Grabbing a smoothie, fruit, or a handful of nuts, etc., are a few things to grab on the go.

My mom has always been terrible with drinking water and needs those reminders (she cared for my late stepdad and grandma). That can contribute to brain fog too. When I call, I still ask her if she has her water near her.

• Colleen

February 17, 2023 at 3:41 pm

Though I would check-in with our caregivers. How’s the brain fog these days?

I’ve really been struggling with it. You know how they say too many cooks in the kitchen? Well I have too many thoughts in my head making my mind disorganized!

Please, tell me I’m not the only one!

• jen-cueva

February 20, 2023 at 1:02 pm

Hi @colleensteele, I am not a caregiver, but I can relate to the brain fog you experience. My psychiatrist here screened me for depression because she thought that could be contributing. However, she believes it’s my anxiety and I have a bit of ADD. I just thought I was an overthinker.

I’ve also been less organized the past few years than usual. I am usually a super organized person. If you saw my table now, yes, kitchen table- it has tax papers, my sticky notes, and a notebook scattered across one side. What about you?

I hope you are resting some as you prepare for Aidan’s visit. That will be such an enjoyable time for you and your family. Please take that time and focus on them.