Helping Your Loved One Stay Independent

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Cueva 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     Colleen Steele 
    Keymaster

Whether a child or an adult, independence is important to people but it’s not easy to maintain when living with a disease such as pulmonary hypertension. As a caregiver how do you encourage and help your loved one maintain some form of independence? What is the biggest struggle in doing so?

Jen Cueva 
    Participant

Great topic, Colleen! Although I am an adult with PH, prior to PH, I was a caregiver. I know that for my hubby, it’s often hard as I want to do it all. ( I know, I sound like a toddler). But for me, releasing things that I once could and want to do is tough. I know for my hubby this is a constant battle. I also realize that he’s just trying to help.

As a caregiver and now a patient, I’ve always thought that allowing others to do what they can when they can is best. These tasks can often change from day to day, I’m aware! I know from the perspective of a parent, this can require patience and time. Believe me, my hubby grows impatient with me, too, lol. I’m a strong-willed and determined woman and think personal dignity us important as well. Staying a’s independent as possible has always been my goal.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account