• Kaye Norlin

May 7, 2018 at 12:11 pm

I first had a lot of coughing while exercising, followed by shortness of breath, chest pain and fatigue. I was treated for Asthma and was told to seek counseling. I found a doctor who listened to me and I was diagnosed properly. My last symptom just when I was being diagnosed was edema.

• Kathleen Sheffer

May 7, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Sounds all too familiar! I was only six years old when I was diagnosed so I don’t have many memories of it, but my mom tells me my cardiologist told her I would be fine if it weren’t for my over-achieving parents. My complaints about fatigue and shortness of breath included comparisons to my peers, which he interpreted as an overly competitive drive. Turns out it wasn’t all in my head. Thank goodness for second opinions!

• Brittany Foster

May 7, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Hi Kaye,
      I too experienced symptoms from a young age and was treated as having exercise induced asthma for most of my childhood. Doctors didn’t check my oxygen levels upon exertion. But suspect that after checking them a few years ago and seeing how low they dropped they suspected I probably needed oxygen longer than they thought. As much as I hate thinking about the fact that I could have been treated sooner, it’s good to know that my doctors are now checking their patients when they complain of these symptoms and checking their oxygen levels with activity.

I can relate to the shortness of breath. And my chest always felt like it was burning or like I was under water. It was always such a weird sensation and unsettling.

• Terry D. Blissett

May 11, 2018 at 9:47 am

I was recovering from a saddle pulmonary embolism when I realized that I was not able to exercise or do any strenuous activity without being followed by EXTREME fatigue. I also had shortness of breath and some chest discomfort. I kept complaining of it to my PP and he referred me to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist did a ECHO and my pressure was estimated at 36. Now further tests are scheduled.

• Brittany Foster

May 11, 2018 at 9:51 am

Hi Terry,
      I’m really glad you knew your body well enough to recognize that there was something off after you exercised. I also had a similar experience with my early signs. I realized that I was never feeling rejuvenated and didn’t get the endorphin high that many get after exercise. All I could think about was taking a nap. It seems like your doctors are being proactive in trying to get to the bottom of things. It’s so important to have a good team of support including doctors ! All the best to you!