Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions A New Member Asks, Have You Had Stents Placed? If So, Share Your Experience.

• A New Member Asks, Have You Had Stents Placed? If So, Share Your Experience.

Posted by jen-cueva on July 14, 2020 at 12:08 pm

A new member, @teddy, asks, “I’m going in for a stent in my left main coronary artery. Has anyone else had this? If so, what was your experience?”

As a PH patient, I have not had this myself. But, my hubby had stents placed last year and has not had any issues. I also know a few PHriends who have had stents placed while having PH. I have noticed that they recover a tad slower but often feel the relief once these arteries are opened up, and more blood can flow.

When are you having this stent placement, @teddy? Is there anyone here who can share their stent experiences? I would guess that increased blood flow would help offer some relief quickly.

jen-cueva replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Colleen

July 14, 2020 at 1:34 pm

@teddy my dad has stents and they truly helped him. They typically only last a certain amount of years then need to be replaced. He amazed his doctors because his didn’t have to be replaced until something like 10 or 15 years later. They left the old ones in and put in 2 new stents several years ago. I’m not sure why they didn’t remove the old ones but the next time I talk to my dad I will ask him and get more information for you.

• Libby

September 5, 2020 at 10:56 am

Hi Teddy, I know many people who have had stents placed and it’s been a very smooth, simple procedure. I’ve had one stent placed in one of my valves and it does well, however I’ve also had doctors wanting to place stents in my lungs for PH and have been unable to due to how easily my arteries tear and they are so narrow, they smallest stent does not fit. Instead I continue to have ballooning procedures to stretch out the narrowed arteries which is also very risky due to tearing.

• Colleen

September 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Hey @libby thanks for sharing your experience with @teddy. How are you doing in general Libby? Anything new to share?

• Sally Hoffman

September 8, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Hi Teddy, hi Libby, I had a stent placed in my kidney, this morning. I was awake for the procedure. I feel fine. My blood pressure begin dropping (a good thing) right during the procedure. Doctor says by a week I should know if my bp is going to stabilize. I certainly hope as I was due to titrate up on my Uptravi a month ago. Hoping for next Wednesday. Best of luck to you both. Sally

• jen-cueva

May 3, 2023 at 1:37 pm

Hey @brendad53, here’s one of the topics discussing stents. I thought you may want to read through these experiences.

• brenda-denzler

May 3, 2023 at 2:11 pm

THanks. You’d be amazed at how anxious I am. I’m about 1.5 steps away from crying or vomiting….or possibly both! D*mned PTSD.

• Jimi Mcintosh

May 7, 2023 at 12:10 am

I have had numerous stents placed since diagnosed with PH. Most have caused no issues and dependent upon the location mild discomfort when placed. I had a kidney stent that caused a distended stomach and continued bleeding, spent 5 days in hospital, it was removed 3 months later. Otherwise it no worse than any other procedure. Remember to get the ID CARD, that hives the serial number and manufacturer’s name for tracking purposes

• jen-cueva

May 8, 2023 at 1:07 pm

Hi @jimi, thanks for that tip to get the ID card. Manny has one, and he took a pic of it to carry on his phone. He has it there, too. Do you carry yours in your wallet?

Ugh, you’ve had an extremely uncomfortable weekend, @brendad53. I’m sorry you are having these additional complications before your cath today. Manny’s cardiologist gave us a folder with the information about the type of stent, etc., and the ID card. I remember it had extra pamphlets about diet, post-op experiences when to call them, etc. Thanks to Jimi for that reminder, and it boosted my brain in gear when Manny had his stents placed.

Prayers and positive thoughts are with you, my dear Brenda, that they can offer relief and much-needed, long-awaited answers. <3

• brenda-denzler

May 7, 2023 at 9:55 am

Thanks, Jimi. I’ll do that.

Seems that things are taking a turn for the worse with me, these last few days or week or so. Lots of fluid retention. Difficulty moving my diaphragm for a deep breath. Bronchial spasms (relieved with Albuterol inhaler). Distended abdomen–the fluid retention thing. Can’t walk and talk at the same time any more. Can’t do anything very strenuous without chest pain that takes an eternity to dissipate despite medication.

I suspect I have stents in my immediate future! I’ll take your advice to heart.