Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members Are Your Caregiver To More Than One Person?

• jen-cueva

August 30, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Wow, @colleensteele, this certainly brought out my tears. I know that this was a long-awaited trip, and I, too, thought that you would relax a bit and focus on yourself.

But, knowing you as I do, I knew that once you noticed an issue with mom, you jumped right back in that awesome caregiver that you are. I know as I care for my aging parents, finding that gentle balance is difficult.

I hate that your mom took such a bad fall. But. I am grateful that you were there and could help. I certainly can relate to that guilt when leaving. But I try to remind myself, like you, that doing what I can while I am there was important and the care that we tend to provide via phone and FaceTime calls.

I think as a child with aging parents, that guilt will always stick with us. I know for me, the calls and brief check-ins with KK and also for me with my parents are important for everyone. We can remind ourselves of the little care things we do while not there, too.

Another excellent column, @colleensteele. I am keeping you and the family in my ongoing thoughts and prayers. Please do LMK if I can be of help.

• Colleen

August 30, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Thank you @jenc. There is never a perfect time for someone to get injured but if it were going to happen, when it did was perfect. So much better than if I were in WA, with no arrangements made to fly home, and find out that my mom had fallen. Not to mention, if I weren’t home, who knows how long she would have gone before finally going to the hospital.

Thank you and all our members for the thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Mom is slowly improving and feeling the benefits of physical therapy (which at first she tried to get out of.)

• jen-cueva

August 31, 2021 at 10:24 am

Hi @colleensteele, I am so happy to hear that your mom is improving and cooperating with PT. She sounds like a woman who knows what she wants and doesn’t want to do. I love that, but happy that you convinced her to seek medical care and participate in PT.

Yes, the timing was good in many ways. I am happy that you were there. We all know that these things can happen with no warning.

She is fortunate to have you as a daughter, and I know that she and your dad are appreciative. We are here for you, just as you are always here for us all. Please take care of yourself; I love ya bunches.