Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Upcoming Procedures Colleen needs our support and prayers –

• Colleen needs our support and prayers –

Posted by jen-cueva on December 21, 2023 at 11:25 am

Unfortunately , the punches just don’t stop coming for our lovely @Colleen . For @Carol Volckmann , and @Roger Bliss , and anyone else keeping up this week. I have a new prayer request from her.

This morning, Colleen is seeking prayers and asked for me to share un the forums. I graciously ask for your support and solidarity in this matter.

She wrote, “Prayers needed please! I thought I was losing both parents at the exact same time this morning. Mom caught the flu and after showering her she fell asleep in the shower chair and I couldn’t wake her. Called ambulance, explained to dad. He took one look at her passed out, I caught him and got him to the floor where he started having a seizure. He is fine now and stronger than he has been in days. It was a syncope episode. Medics allowed him to stay home cause vitals were very good. They got mom responsive and taken to hospital. Got dad settled. Cullen is staying with him. I’m on my way to hospital. Ever watch the Notebook? I don’t need that kind of romance in my life!!!”

My heart aches with and for her, as I can’t even begin to fathom the terror she and Cullen must have faced. Words simply cannot capture the immense love and unwavering support that Colleen showers upon us when we need it most. Her kind-heartedness and gentle nature resonate with each one of us, and now it’s our turn to join forces and stand by her side.

Dear Santa, I ask you to grant Colleen and her family a much-needed respite filled with peace and joy. They have been carrying an overwhelming burden for far too long. Colleen, we cherish you deeply, and we send you an abundance of gentle hugs, love, and countless prayers. You are not alone, my dear friend and FWW. Together, we will weather any storm!

jen-cueva replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 18 Members · 45 Replies
  • 45 Replies
  • Cris Dingman

December 21, 2023 at 3:00 pm

Jen, thanks for letting us know about Colleen. Please pass along my well wishes and I am certainly praying for her and her family. To me, she is a wonderful strength. Always has such uplifting messages. She is well thought of by all of us on this site. Hugs.

• jen-cueva

December 22, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Thanks so much for your thoughtful prayers for @Colleen and her family. Yes, she always has uplifting messages for us all in the forums. it’s her turn to lean on us.

Hugs to you, Cris. Happy holidays to you and your loved ones. 🤗

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:05 pm

Thank you @<b style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>cris-dingman. Your kind words and well wishes mean a lot to me!

• V.R. Peterson

December 21, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Colleen, I am praying for both your parents, for you and for your children. May God bring you all comfort, and may He heal your mom and dad.

• jen-cueva

December 22, 2023 at 1:12 pm

Thanks @V.R. Peterson, I am about to update the latest below. But I know Colleen and her family appreciate your support and prayers. It’s time she gets a much-needed break!

Hugs to you, my PHriend. 🤗

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:06 pm

@V.R. Peterson thank you so much! I appreciate you more than words can say!

• Roger Bliss

December 21, 2023 at 4:03 pm

I can’t believe she has had to deal with so many health problems in her family this year. I can only imagine how tough this year has been on her. Hopefully, she is taking good care of herself so she doesn’t get sick too. She certainly has my admiration for her strength.

Coleen and her family are in our thoughts and prayers.

• jen-cueva

December 22, 2023 at 1:17 pm

Hi, @Roger Bliss, unfortunately, Colleen also has the flu. If she is feeling better, I bet it will all catch up with her when she can slow down. Like you, she has my admiration. But she and her family need a break!

I appreciate the love and support and know she will, too. Yesterday, I told her how many were sending her and her family well wishes and prayers. 🤗

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:10 pm

@Roger Bliss thank you for your words of concern and support! It has been a rough year but good family and friends like yourself have helped me through it. Everyone is home from the hospital now and praying that doesn’t change again any time soon!

Happy new year!

• jen-cueva

December 22, 2023 at 1:28 pm

The latest update from last night is from our lovely @Colleen, shared below. Poor woman!

Her mom was admitted to the hospital with a UTI and the flu. They were conducting a few additional tests as well. She was unsure if she would stay with her mom overnight. Cullen was still feeling quite unwell, so she contemplated going home to look after her dad, allowing Cullen to rest. Please continue to keep her and her family in your prayers.

Colleen, we want you to know that we love you and are here to support you. Please remember to take care of yourself as you navigate between caring for your parents. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hopefully, things will take a turn for the better before Christmas and, of course, the new year. You all deserve and need a break!🤗🙏

• Jill Upshaw

December 22, 2023 at 1:52 pm

Prayers for Colleen and family. My parents passed a few years back but do understand the fear, anxiety and the weight associated with 2 sick parents at one time. Mine were sick for many years and married for 63 years. They lived in another state and I commuted 2-3 times a week. It is exhausting but when mine passed I knew I had done everything possible for them. Colleen is taking the same path and you don’t know how long it will be – mine was several years. When she said her dad passed out, my dad cried and was beyond upset. It is a helpless feeling but God gives you the strength to make the correct decisions with the simple things as well as the hard ones. One funny tale that I still laugh at – my dad was sitting in his lift chair by the door of their assisted living apartment. My mother was tall and started walking toward him. She passed out and fell on him knocking the chair over. They landed in the floor with my dad on the bottom bleeding profusely, my mom on top of him, the lift chair on top of both of them upside down and blood seeping under the door from my dad bleeding. He was still conscious and pulled his neck alarm. People came running, saw the blood in the hallway and could not open the blocked door. My mom was still out. They called the EMS and the fire department. EMS took out the living room window and climbed in. It took a while and they were fine in the end. My mom came to and wanted to know what had happened ………I still laugh when I think about them. You do the best you can and in the end whenever that is, you will have the strength to handle what you need to and the personal pride and satisfaction that you did your best. Also, Collin is witnessing a strong and faithful mother. There is no better example for a mom to a child.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:17 pm

@Jill Upshaw I am sorry you have gone through the struggle of caring for both parents at once. I appreciate that shared your experience with me. It offers me the confidence I need to continue doing the best for mine.

I don’t have a funny story to share but a sweet one. When my dad got home from the hospital he slowly headed to my mom with his walker to give her a kiss. If I wasn’t so sick myself I would have hurried to grab my phone to take a pic. But then again, sometimes it’s nice to enjoy a precious moment not through the lens of a camera.

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:10 pm

Well said. It’s an incredible reminder for many of us struggling to care for elderly parents. It’s even more challenging when they are in another state. @Jill Upshaw, what a heartbreaking time to lose both parents together. I’m grateful you feel comfortable to share with us here. Indeed, this helps @Colleen. I feel like she isn’t alone in this. It also warms my heart to know you are at peace, knowing you did your best to take care of your parents.

OMG, your poor parents. I can only imagine the looks and comments they received from the assisted living staff. But wow, working in nursing before PH, I’ve seen a few “doozies,” as my late grandmother would say.

Happy New Year, Jill, and thanks again for the love and support. 🤗

• Carol Volckmann

December 24, 2023 at 7:58 pm

Oh no Colleen, you are in our prayers 🙏you, your Mom, Dad and Cullen. My only wish this Christmas Eve is for you and your family to heal, be home and be able to all be together. Colleen, please take care of yourself. I know that is probably the last thing on your mind, but you have to. Dick and I both send you our love and surround you with warm hugs. Our prayers are with you. God, please see Colleen through this and give her strength ❤️

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:19 pm

@Carol Volckmann and Dick, thank you for your love, support and most of all, prayers! I hope you are both doing well. I know 2023 was a rough year for you as well. Wishing you the best in the new year!

• Joanne Sperando

December 26, 2023 at 2:06 pm

I’m sending prayers and healing energy to Colleen and family. Stress is so high during the hoidays. I hope things settle down and everyone recovers quickly! Hugs to all.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:19 pm

@Joanne Sperando thank you! Everyone is home from the hospital and getting lots of rest, including me! Happy new year to you and yours!

• Germaine Norwood

December 26, 2023 at 2:37 pm

Dearest Colleen,

You have overcome so much and yet continue to give so much. My prayers are with you and your entire family. We would not all feel the support we have without you and Jen in our lives as we travel our own paths with PAH. The best to you and your families. Merry Christmas anad Happy New 1

Germaine Norwood

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:21 pm

You’re so sweet @Germaine Norwood , thank you! All the love and support means so much to me! It is so nice to return to the forums and read all these kind messages!

• Perry Abet Mamigonian

December 26, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Will pray daily for Colleen, Cullen and her parents. 🙏

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:22 pm

@Perry Abet Mamigonian thank you! Things are slowly getting better. Happy new year to you and Susie!

• Barbara Thompson

December 26, 2023 at 2:44 pm

Oh my goodness, @Colleen ! That’s a lot to deal with!! My mama passed 38 years ago today, the day after Christmas. My prayers are lifted to you, Cullen, & your mom & dad. Please don’t forget to take care of yourself. Thanks @jen-cueva for letting us know as well as an update.

🙏🏻Love to all from the “Zebra Lady”.🙏🏻

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:24 pm

@Barbara Thompson aka Zebra Lady! Thank you for your concern. Everyone is home from the hospital now. Still dealing with dry coughs, especially Cullen but hopefully full recovery is around the corner!

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:16 pm

It’s my pleasure, @Barbara Thompson! @Colleen always does the same when I am out for medical and family mishaps.

I hope you and Chuck had a wonderful Christmas, and best wishes for 2024!

Keep on being the best “Zebra Lady” around!🤗🦓

• Lynda

December 26, 2023 at 3:01 pm

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your parents praying for a speedy recovery!

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:25 pm

@Lynda thank you so much! I appreciate the support during this difficult time!

• V.R. Peterson

December 26, 2023 at 3:17 pm

@Colleen my prayers continue up for your family.

• Carol alexander

December 26, 2023 at 3:28 pm

Prayers for you and your family when it rains it pours but the sun will shine again my thoughts are with you you were so kind to me in my time of need.

Carol Alexander🙏

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:26 pm

@Carol alexander thank you dear friend for your love and support! I pray that 2024 will be kind to you!

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:19 pm

Hi, @Carol alexander; I was thrilled to see your words of encouragement for our lovely @Colleen! But how are you doing, our long-lost friend? We have missed seeing your updates. What’s new in your life? Did you do anything special over the holidays?

Extra hugs and love coming your way. 🤗

• Linda Concoby

December 26, 2023 at 4:14 pm

Dear Colleen, my prayers are with all of you.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Thank you @Linda Concoby and happy new year to you and yours!

• Terese Tuohey

December 26, 2023 at 6:26 pm

My prayers are with Colleen and her family! OMG! I don’t think I could handle her load, but God only gives us what we can handle. Please tell Colleen this. And the following is from a meditation: If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Hugs, very gentle ones, for Colleen!

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:28 pm

@Terese Tuohey to be honest, there have been moments when I have actually yelled at God that I can’t take much more! But as a good friend once told me, it’s ok to yell at God, He can take it. Things are looking up and I believe all the prayers have helped. Thank you!

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:23 pm

Hi @Terese Tuohey, yes, like you, I doubt I could push through all Colleen has been through. But talking to her on the phone yesterday, she sounded much better than I would have thought. I would have caved long ago, carrying the load God put on her.

Cheers, and I hope 2024 gives you all the vitamin D to soak up while you’re in Florida. 🌞

@Colleen, yes, I LOVE that God is strong enough to take us yelling! 😍

• Debbie Moore

December 27, 2023 at 2:23 pm

What a strong woman you are Colleen. I know your strength comes from the Lord. I’m praying for you and your family for health, peace, and comfort. God bless you.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:29 pm

Thank you @Debbie Moore ! I appreciate you and wish you the best in the new year!

• DeLois Tweedy

December 28, 2023 at 9:30 am

Colleen, lifting you and your family up in prayer. Thankful for you as a PH friend, and all the support and inspiration you give. Now is your time to be loved and uplifted by those who care. May God give healing, peace, and comfort during this time. Please take care of yourself as you take care of your loved ones.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:30 pm

Thank you @DeLois Tweedy ! Now that everyone is home from the hospital I have been napping a lot and taking it easy. I so appreciate the words of concern and support! Happy New Year!

• Randolph Reynolds

December 28, 2023 at 3:01 pm

This forum’s support for our members speaks volumes. Colleen is one of our stalwart key masters. Our prayers will lift her and her family out of this. I join in this effort. Blessings to all.

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 3:32 pm

@Randolph Reynolds thank you so much for the confidence your words offer me! I appreciate you and your support. May 2024 be a better year for all of us!

• Colleen Steele

January 2, 2024 at 2:56 pm

Thank you @Jen C and everyone for your love, support and prayers! Wow, 21 messages to help heal my heart from the stress it’s been going through. You are all such a blessing to me!

As Jen just learned, Cullen also ended up in the hospital with the flu. First my dad, then my mom and then Cullen was admitted on Christmas Eve. As of December 30th everyone is finally home. My parents are doing much better but unfortunately Cullen is still struggling, and he was the first to come down with the flu so it’s been weeks for him. A dry, exhausting cough has lingered which causes his O2 to dip.

Yes, we had all received the flu vaccine. My theory is if we hadn’t, God only knows how much worse this would have been!

Please take extra precautions to stay well! Our hospital is filled to the brim with flu, Covid and RSV patients. Hospital staff has returned to wearing masks 24/7.

Again, thank you all for helping me through what was a very hard year for me and my family! Much love to you my PHriends!

• jen-cueva

January 3, 2024 at 3:39 pm

Hi, @Colleen. I’m thrilled to have you back, even if that means popping in when you can. You’ve been missed greatly. But we also want you to focus on your family and self-care as needed.

My FWW and friend, we are always here for you to help carry you through life’s storms. You’ve been lifting us all and healing our hearts in our darkest seasons for years. We are now here and offer our love and support as you need.

This reminded me of one of those images where you take what is needed. You know those bulletin board pinups that you can tear off your needs? For example, love, compassion, a hug, or rest.

Please keep us updated on how Cullen is recovering from the flu too. 🙏

• Carol Volckmann

January 2, 2024 at 3:23 pm

Colleen, thank goodness everyone is now home. You and your family are still in our prayers and surrounding you with love ❤️. More positive vibes reach out to Cullen as he is still struggling with the flu. With the hospital filled with patients with the flu, RSV and Covid, I am glad Cullen is home.

• Colleen Steele

January 3, 2024 at 2:11 pm

Thank you @Carol Volckmann ❤ How are you doing?