Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 9 of #30DaysofPH: A PAH Diagnosis Raises So Many Questions

• Day 9 of #30DaysofPH: A PAH Diagnosis Raises So Many Questions

Posted by Kevin Schaefer on November 10, 2022 at 9:00 am

Erik Born spent a few years dealing with shortness of breath, but he thought it was just his asthma acting up. Then in 2020, he received a diagnosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension. He then had numerous questions about the disease and where he would go from this point in his life.

He writes, “I was 52 when I had a right heart catheterization and was told I had pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). I thought to myself, how? Why? Now what? I worked out, watched what I ate, and what the hell is PAH? As a nurse, my wife, Donna,  knew, but she waited until after the follow-up appointment to talk to me about it.”

Read the full story here.

Can you relate to Erik’s story? How do you process your daily life with PH?

Pulmonary Hypertension News’ 30 Days of PH campaign will publish one story per day for PH Awareness Month in November. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #30DaysofPH, or read the full series.

Colleen replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Colleen

November 10, 2022 at 6:11 pm

@erikborn thank you so much for sharing part of your story with us through “30 Days of PH”.

I can’t imagine how emotionally difficult it must have been for your wife to sit through that follow-up appointment, understanding as much as she did because of her nursing experience, and realizing the tough conversation she would have with you on your way home.

How many of us can relate to the, “Now what” question Erik ends his story with?

• jen-cueva

November 11, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Wow, @erikborn, that must have been not easy, to say the least, for your wife, Donna, to wait until after the appointment to talk about PH. I worked in nursing and feel, at times, that makes things worse as I know more than I should at times.

How did she even begin this conversation is what I want to know? That had to be challenging as you’re her husband. It’s scary when we know things about our spouses and then have to share what we know. I bet you both have been a such tremendous support to help each other with this new journey.

I’m grateful your meds are working again, and you’re enjoying life and those grandkids. Thank you for sharing your journey and being a part of the forums.

I hope you enjoy a lovely weekend. Is Muffin Top part of your plans? Hehe

• Erik

November 11, 2022 at 5:52 pm

I guess I started the conversation with “What the hell is Pulmonary Hyper what ever you call it”.  After the RHC I was not given any information other than take this medication and schedule a follow up appointment.  She said it was not good.  At the time 7 months earlier I just got over a really bad case of sepsis over thanksgiving, it was to the point were my wife was told to have some one come sit with her, because it did not look good.  Well I spent Thanksgiving 2019 in the hospital under heavy antibiotics, while family came into town.  I have had sepsis one more time since, just not as bad.

So anyway I thought getting through sepsis I could beat anything and thats what I told my wife. HAHA to my surprise was I wrong.

Thankfully I have a very supportive wife,  I have made her life interesting with hospital stays, doctors appointments.

• Colleen

November 14, 2022 at 1:50 pm

@erikborn please let your lovely wife know that she is also welcome to join the forums. We are here to support patients and their caregivers.

You sound like an amazing couple. I’m so happy for you both that you have each other!