• Did you ever cough up blood?

Posted by brittany-foster on November 13, 2019 at 10:12 am

Yesterday, as I was at my doctor appointment coughing and having a hard time managing my upper respiratory infection, I ended up coughing up streaks of blood. I tasted blood in the back of my throat while coughing but I thought that it was just from irritation from coughing because I have had that taste happen before while coughing. When I had to spit from the amount of coughing that I was doing, I noticed streaks of blood within my cough and my doctor also saw it. I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and was put on medication for the cough and chest pain, as well as a steroid taper (fun times! NOT ) .

My question is, does anyone have experiences with coughing up blood when they have an upper respiratory infection? When have you noticed blood in your mucus from coughing or that came up with coughing? Share your experience here:

brittany-foster replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • v-r-peterson

November 14, 2019 at 10:43 am

Every time I get pneumonia, I start coughing up blood. That’s when I know it’s time to go to the doctor. While I don’t have PH, I do get pneumonia about once a year — except I haven’t had it for the past two years. Maybe I’m getting lucky in my old age.

• brittany-foster

November 14, 2019 at 11:03 am

Yes this is definitely a sign of pneumonia and a more serious respiratory infection. Have you ever been given the pneumonia vaccine? I get it every year, but wondering if others get it too if they have had frequent pneumonia?