Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Did You Know That Some Medications Cause Sun Sensitivity?

• Did You Know That Some Medications Cause Sun Sensitivity?

Posted by jen-cueva on May 4, 2020 at 10:18 am

With the warming weather approaching, those of us with PH must be careful when we are out in the sun. Certain medications can cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Were you aware of this potential side effect? The list above is not all, but some important meds that have this side effect.

Over the weekend here in Texas, we had some beautiful sunny days. Of course., the low humidity and sunny days drew me outdoors. I spent part of Friday and Saturday out in the pool and poolside.

Although I did use sunscreen, I did not reapply it. I never thought about my Lasix and other medications that cause sensitivity to sunlight. I have been taking Lasix for years, so I am aware of this side effect. I just forgot how quickly that I burn when out in the sun.

So, I m now applying aloe vera to my chest and shoulders to help with my sunburn. What precautions do you take while out in the sun? Do you take other meds that cause this sun sensitivity?  Do you attend to avoid the sun because of this? Please share your thoughts here.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Colleen

May 4, 2020 at 6:55 pm

@jenc this is such an important topic. There are definitely PH meds that should make patients extra vigilant about protecting themselves when in the sun. Cullen also has a number of transplant meds that are a big issue when in the sun. He must use sun screen, wear a hat, sunglasses and cover up if the sun is too strong. Skin cancer runs in my family too so that is an added risk for him.

Usually he is pretty good about putting on lotion but a few summers ago we were at a lake with friends and he was pretty stingy with the application. His best friend’s mom warned him to put on more or she would do it. We ended up tackling him and by the time we finished adding more sunscreen he looked like a snowman. LOL! I wish I had taken a picture of that.

• jen-cueva

May 5, 2020 at 8:31 am

Oh, @colleensteele, that would have been such a funny sight and pic to have- hehe. I am grateful that he has not on you but his best friend’s mom that watches out for his best interest.

I, too, have a family history of skin cancer on my Dad’s side. So, I do apply sunscreen. I just did not realize that time had passed so fast. I was reading some, too, when not in the pool.

I am happy to hear that Cullen does take the much-needed precautions when in the sun. Is he better with this as he gets older? Does he enjoy the sun and being outdoors when it warms up? It is one of my favorite times of the year when I can get outside and enjoy it while it is sunny and low humidity. I also enjoy family BBQs.