Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diagnosis Information and ​General​ ​Questions Do you dress to impress or head to your medical appointments in your truest form?

• Roger Bliss

March 9, 2024 at 1:32 pm

I am a jeans and tee shirt kinda guy. I don’t have any other kind of clothing.

• jen-cueva

March 12, 2024 at 3:14 pm

Hey, @Roger Bliss, I’m with you. I am causal. But my casual and fixing my hair is “dressing up.” Otherwise, I’m in my PJs or lounge clothes, sweats, etc. There’s not much more dressier than that for me. If it’s a special event that I need to “dress up,” I usually have to buy something to wear. Or, digging deep in the back of my closet from last time, I was dressed more dressy for those events, which are not doctor visits, etc., in my world.

• Colleen Steele

April 1, 2024 at 7:25 pm

@jen-cueva this is such a great topic! When Cullen was little I did my best to bring him to appointments looking like he was ready for a picture but as time went by and PH got uglier, all I cared about was what his test results looked like!

I’m going to approach this from the caregiver perspective too. Personally, I do better if my hair and teeth is brushed, my clothes are fresh and I have just a touch of makeup on. So, even when Cullen was hospitalized I would make an effort every morning to get myself together as best I could. I’m sure I wasn’t fooling anyone because some days there was no hiding the dark circles and wrinkles in my clothes but what mattered was the little bit of pep in my step it would give me. I would feel more tired and burned out if I didn’t freshen up at least a little every day.

That being said, I know there were emergencies in which I looked like a hot mess! When my son couldn’t breath in the middle of the night and was crying with chest pains, I didn’t care if I was wearing two different socks, striped pants with a polka dot top and Einstein hair. Freshing-up came after admission and once Cullen was stable enough for me to take a second to run a brush through my hair.

Again, great topic Jen!

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2024 at 2:13 pm

Hi, @Colleen. I have to laugh as I read your thoughts on this topic. Earlier in my diagnosis, I was like you and dressed like I was going for pictures. But then, as ” PH became uglier” – (I love that!), I think I often show up; however, I am feeling that way.

As a caregiver and now a patient, I can relate to both sides. But often brushing my hair and teeth is a bonus, as washing my face. Those are usually when I’ve been impatient and not yet stable. As you mentioned, the priority is stabilizing our loved ones or ourselves!

Thanks for sharing. I can certainly see how for me; it depends on how I am feeling that day.

• Terry

April 17, 2024 at 2:46 am

Late to this one. Mate ,I always dress in all my refinement to see the docs, you know, polished Sperry topsiders , tanned legs , tailored shorts , nice shirt with matching chronograph .A splash of Tabac after shave ( hard to buy splash on these days) . and neatly combed hair.

I like to call it power dressing in the tropics.

Does it work? Hell I don’t know but I feel pretty good after . HA

OK I lied about the hair.

• Colleen Steele

April 17, 2024 at 5:03 pm

@Terry if I were your doctor my first question would be, “Do you feel as good as you look?”!

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2024 at 12:32 pm

Now, you must walk in there like a sailboat model, Mate! I’m sure your attire probably makes me look shabby when I dress a tad better than I feel. @Terry

Like @Colleen, I agree the doctor may ask you that question. If he does, do you say you feel like a $100 or what? Or maybe, as my dad would say, “I feel like I’m in my 20s again.”And I must say, at almost 80, he runs circles around me. Heck, y’all know I don’t run. 🤣

• Rayetta

April 21, 2024 at 1:05 am

I do not dress up to go to my doctor’s appointments. I try to look nice, but I always wear casual clothing and something that is comfortable. I tend to have a lot of blood work done, so I also try to chose a short sleeved shirt to wear.

• Colleen Steele

April 22, 2024 at 9:10 pm

@Rayetta truth be told, doctors and nurses probably prefer that their patients dress practically instead of dressed to impress.

• Cris Dingman

April 23, 2024 at 2:29 pm

haha, I enjoyed ya’lls answers to this question! Me? My best pair of sweats/yoga pants and a clean shirt IS dressing up! I believe I own a comb and brush, just don’t ask where they are on any given day. I do keep my hair VERY short, so a shower and a towel takes care of that. I do however, feel totally naked without earrings! Gotta’ wear those, then I know alls right with the world. Pathetic, I know…