• Posted by Brittany Foster on April 9, 2019 at 12:51 pm

I have never had a bronchoscopy, but I know that for some with PH, especially those that have had lung transplants, this is something that is done almost routinely. I am getting my first one done tomorrow to see if there is trachea involvement and if the trachea or bronchial tubes are being compressed from my vascular ring. This test will help surgeons determine how my upcoming surgery (to fix the compression of my esophagus because of my aorta) will be done.

If you have any experience with getting a bronchoscopy, what is it like? Honestly is much appreciated so I know what to expect from those who have been through it. Can you give me any tips for managing the stress around getting one done? I have to have a conscious sedation and can’t be sedated too much because I have to be able to follow commands during it.

Brittany Foster replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

April 9, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Hey Brittany. Sorry you have to have this done, but it’s probably a lot easier than most procedures you’ve had. Way better than a right heart cath!

I am basically immune to narcotics so I’ve been wide awake throughout my bronchoscopies – enough to hear my attending gossiping about his fellows.

Have them write in that you have some allergy and need benadryl!

The toughest part is doing an inhaled lidocaine treatment before they start. This numbs your tongue and throat. It is quite unpleasant. I was really surprised by this the first time, which is why I’m telling you about it now. Don’t fight it – it will make everything easier, but man it sucks.

After that, you should be fine. They’ll start the conscious sedation and hopefully you won’t remember anything else. I’ll be thinking of you!

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Thank you girl! And yes I will take full advantage of that benadryl LOL!! I am also immune to narcotics, I know they are planning on using a combo of fentanyl and versed. That works better for me than morphine. I HATE morphine. I wears off in like 10 minutes and then I’m completely fine 10 minutes later. I need to be alert enough to take commands. I just know I’ll end up saying some weird things before the scope goes down there hahahahaha !