Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Welcome Lounge Using Our Forums Filing for SS Disability with PH diagnosis

• Debbie Moore

May 9, 2022 at 3:01 pm

I have insurance (very expensive insurance).  I plan on applying for disability in July. I have a disability lawyer.  I want to file early for social security, so as I understand it I have to be classified as disable first.  This is all to reduce medical expenses.  I have to wait till July so that I have all my quarters of working met.  My husband and I own three businesses.  I have worked all of my life but when we started the businesses I did not receive a paycheck, so no social security.  So I’ve been working on getting paid.

But my question is does social security benefits cover medications, tests, and doctor visits like my insurance?  I hear of people having to wait for or be denied for the medical things they need.  Is it worth me changing from Blue Cross?

• V.R. Peterson

May 9, 2022 at 3:59 pm

@debbie, Social Security (whether for disability or retirement) does not include medical payments.

You could call the SS office  to see if being on SSDI would qualify you for Medicare, though I don’t think so. You could call your city, county or state number for Medicaid to see if you could qualify for your state’s Medicaid program.

• jen-cueva

May 11, 2022 at 10:07 am

Hi @debbie, the disability process seems to be different for all. But I have approved right away with the help of my doctor’s notes and paperwork and my notes about how the symptoms limited my ability to perform usual tasks( ADLs).

SSD does not pay for any medical costs. As @mamabear007 suggests, I would check with your local, city, and state government to see if you may qualify for Medicaid. If not, you’ll be paying for a Medicare plan out of your SSD and most often need a supplement insurance plan. It can be complicated. I’m not saying it isn’t possible, and many are doing it.

I would suggest keeping your current insurance at the moment if you can until you get some more answers on your particular case. Working with a disability advocate may be helpful with the businesses you own. You can look at your local area for one or with the SSD. PHA used to have someone who worked to help with insurance and disability. Do you know if he’s still there, @mamabear007, by chance?

Wishing you all the best and hope we can help support you as you head into another PH adventure. Here’s a link from PHA that has some resources about SSD.

Page 2 of 2