• Gum Problems Caused By Amlodipine

Posted by Colleen on December 20, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Do you take amlodipine and have had issues with gum problems? My son has been taking this for a few years now. We received a health insurance wellness alert that amlodipine can cause bleeding, tenderness and puffy gums and to make sure dental visits are kept.

My son does occasionally complain of gum discomfort and now I’m thinking this might be why. It has helped considerably with his blood pressure and that of course takes priority over the gum issues. As is often the case, solving one problem can cause another.

Jo Ann white replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • V.R. Peterson

December 22, 2019 at 4:56 pm

The Mayo Clinic recommends massaging the gums, in addition to careful brushing and flossing when amlodipine causes problems with the gums.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/amlodipine-oral-route/precautions/drg-20061784

• Denise K Thompson

December 24, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Interesting, I would never have related the two. I will get occational puffy sore gums. Can’t live without the Amlodipine so guess better attention to gums must be paid. I’ll speak with my dentist on my next visit. Thanks for the info.

• Jo Ann white

December 31, 2019 at 10:35 am

My hygienist commented about my gums when I went for my first cleaning after starting amlodipene but I have stopped it because blood pressure went too low when tadalafil was added.