Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members Has PH Affected Your Relationship with Your Significant Other?

• Has PH Affected Your Relationship with Your Significant Other?

Posted by Colleen on April 28, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Has being a caregiver to your loved one affected your relationship with your spouse/significant other? If so in what ways?

I’ve been fortunate that raising a son who has PH has actually made my relationship with my husband even stronger. We do sometimes face unique struggles that might be foreign to other couples, but we get through them.

I think our biggest issue over the years is setting aside private time for each other. Date nights were very rare. We couldn’t leave our PHer alone and we felt nervous putting him in the care of someone else, even for a few hours. Sometimes that would weigh on the relationship and when it did, we would make a great effort to make plans. It was often just going to a restaurant 5 minutes from our home, but at least it was something. Have you struggled with this issue too?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jen-cueva

May 1, 2020 at 11:57 am

Although I am a patient, I notice the changes that my hubby often deals with. When someone you love is diagnosed with PH, it takes a toll on any relationship. Too often, the roles change. I have watched that in my marriage.

So, I can see how you and your husband had to make a point of setting aside time for y’all. I cannot imagine how difficult this was. I am thinking about the transplant process and how your family was separated in different states. That time had to be quite challenging for your marriage. Did your husband and son come to visit often?

My hubby and I try to do a “date night” at least monthly. This may be a dinner date, a movie, brunch, or something that we attempt to plan when I am feeling good. Often the plans change, as you all know, can happen.

Those who are caregivers of their spouses, how do y’all make special time outside the usual caregiving routine? Do y’all have date nights? I know with this pandemic, this has been even more challenging.