Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Have You Experienced Hearing Loss Due to Diuretics or PH?

• jen-cueva

June 8, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Great to hear @terry about the misses. We won’t tell when you get that hearing back; just keep us posted.

As @colleensteele mentions, your positive attitude stands out despite your many struggles. Thank you for sharing those moments with us.

• jen-cueva

June 8, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Great to hear @terry about the misses. We won’t tell when you get that hearing back; just keep us posted.

As @colleensteele mentions, your positive attitude stands out despite your many struggles. Thank you for sharing those moments with us.

• Cathy Brown

June 9, 2021 at 2:01 pm

My left ear has been congested for three months now. I think it’s a combination of preexisting allergies, plus three vasodilator meds that are causing congestion plus oxygen drying out my sinus passages. I am also on diuretics. One doctor told me I needed to have a tube placed in that ear, but other things about that exam made me uncomfortable using him, so I am waiting to see another ENT in July. It definitely affects my hearing. It is very frustrating.

• Colleen

June 9, 2021 at 9:20 pm

@catbrown I think it is wise to wait and see an ENT. My son had similar problems, including hearing loss. An ENT confirmed that tubes would be the best option. Once they were placed they helped almost immediately. His hearing returned to normal and he rarely experiences pain. The tubes have been in for several years now and have not yet needed to be replaced.

I hope you the ENT will be able to help you and if tubes are recommended, that they do the trick for you too!

• jen-cueva

June 11, 2021 at 11:17 am

Hi @catbrown, I am happy that you are planning to see another ENT. I know that is what many have suggested. PLease let us know how that goes next month.

It often becomes frustrating, first the hearing loss, then going to a few doctors before they can help. I hope and pray that this one will have more answers for you.

Yes, those vasodilators and our oxygen together certainly can dry out our sinuses a ton. I use a humidifier on my concentrator and use a nasal gel to help the dryness in my nose. My ears do feel plugged often, but 16 years plus taking these meds are most likely the culprits. If my hearing starts to deteriorate, I will see an ENT.

How long have you had PH?

• Terry

June 18, 2021 at 3:42 am

Just thought I would update after two weeks off the tadalafil and loss of hearing in my left ear.
    I’m hopeful.

I first realised I was deaf in my left ear when I could not hear the new  e roadToll tag beep . actually I sent it back as stuffed. They sent another  which I still could not hear but my misses assured me it beeped . Well today I head it beep even with the radio on . Tonight I popped my ears and I had 50% + hearing for a minute or so but it went down to about 25% .My energy levels with only the macitentan are as good as on the tadalafil as well but misses says I’m puffing. So call me spot.

• Kelly

August 16, 2022 at 12:23 pm

I can’t believe I just came across this forum topic!  While moving our daughter to another state recently I was having such a HARD time hearing my hubby.  He actually thought I was being a stinker and teasing him because I couldn’t hear him hardly at all!  I had to have my daughter repeat a lot of why he said.  I wonder if I struggled with hearing because I was more swollen than normal from the 12 hour drive?  I take a diarrhetic daily and usually have a tolerable amount of edema and don’t have an issue hearing anybody including my husband.  But this trip was crazy!  12 hours in the pickup to get there, 2 nights in a hotel, and 12 hours in the pickup back home.  We may take extra time next time so we don’t have to drive the entire way in one day.  We may stop 1/2 way and find a hotel and then continue the next day.  That may help the swelling and the hearing loss.  Maybe?

• Colleen

August 16, 2022 at 2:59 pm

@kelly I’m so glad you found this topic! I recommend all of our members to scroll through the sub-forums every now and then because you never know when you might find a former topic that pertains to you now.

If you haven’t already, I would definitely mention to your doctor the hearing loss you experienced while traveling. He/she might want to try you on a different diuretic or dose?

Could your ears be popping? Mine do that sometimes just going up a steep hill on long drives. It doesn’t have to be a high altitude. Maybe try chewing gum and see if that helps? I don’t know. Can you give your doctor a call and see if they have any advice?

• Carol Volckmann

August 16, 2022 at 3:49 pm

WOW,I too just saw this posted on the forum. After being diagnosed with PAH over 17 years ago and put on 3 different meds, Remodulin, Ambersantin, Tadalfil and lasix.

I have gsd to wear hearing aids for over 13 years. Never thought my meds or PH, or Scleroderma mY have the cause. I have another appointment with my ENT doc in September and will certainly go over this – probably not much they can do about it. Definitely use captions on the TV.

I noticed over the years unconsciously I do try and read lips when talking with people.

Colleen, you’re right, we need to look at topics brought up – we do learn so much from each other.

Page 2 of 2