Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members How Do You Balance Caring For A Loved One With PH And An Aging Parent(s)?

• jen-cueva

February 18, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Hi Colleen, as a PH patient myself and trying to deal with aging parents has been a struggle for me. I can’t imagine being a caregiver and dealing with this already tough situation.

My parents(all 3)live 7-8 hours away. I often try to do what I can to help them, mostly by phone. Often this adds stress to my own health, as I’m sure you experience too.

I think making time for self-care is even more so important when these situations come about. Unfortunately, we all deal with aging parents(also fortunate) and while we want to be there for our parents we need to take care of ourselves too. Balancing this time will not be easy, but an important topic as we ourselves celebrate birthdays.????

• Colleen

February 19, 2020 at 3:24 pm

@jenc I remember your mentioning in the past the concerns and challenges you have faced with your aging parents. The long distance adds to the stress…I know. I live in WA state and my parents live in NJ. It’s so hard hearing about their medical appointments and health concerns and wishing I was there to help them through all of it. I’m making plans to visit them in August for my dad’s 90th birthday! I feel both excited and nervous.

There are days when my brain bounces all around between concerns for my son and worries about my parents. I’m an only child so there is no one else but me to help my parents through the aging process.

• jen-cueva

February 20, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Hey @colleensteele, the distance certainly adds stress. I can relate to worrying and wanting to be there. I am one of 3 girls but the only one who deals with any health-related things with my parents.

I hope that you will share when you visit them in August. Wow, 90th, birthday, that’s a huge celebration!

I always worry about my daughter as she is an only child and when we start aging( we haven’t yet, Hehe). Hugs to you as I know that with your son and aging parents must be difficult.

How has your own health been? Self-care is so important!

• Colleen

February 21, 2020 at 2:06 pm

@jenc I’ve been doing ok, thanks. I’m behind on check-ups for myself. Keep putting it off and I know I shouldn’t do that. How are you doing? I know you were going through a rough patch.

• jen-cueva

February 23, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Hey Colleen, please be sure that you make your appointments and get your check-ups done, too. I know that you probably are on the bottom of your list when it comes to appointments.

I am doing ok, thanks. I am working with a pain management doctor now. I am being optimistic that this helps.