Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Diet and Nutrition How do you boost your nutrition and physical activity with PH?

• How do you boost your nutrition and physical activity with PH?

Posted by jen-cueva on March 19, 2024 at 11:43 am

Many of us try to follow the dietary advice from our healthcare professionals. I’m all in for making smarter choices, aiming for 80%, whether dining in or out.

My daughter, a Dietitian, recently came home to help after my hospitalization. With her help, we’re upping our health game more consistently. But she reminds us it’s not just about swapping fries for veggies.

As National Nutrition Month, March brings this year’s theme, Beyond the Table. It encourages us to add some doctor-approved physical activity to our daily routine alongside smarter eating habits.

How do you boost your nutrition and physical activity? Please share your tips with us. 

jen-cueva replied 1 month, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Perry Abet Mamigonian

March 19, 2024 at 2:35 pm

I enjoy cooking our own meals and have gotten pretty good at making recipes “healthier” by subsituting different ingredients. For example instead of salt I use Sumac (a dried, ground up berry popular in the Middle East). It has a tangy, tart flavor (similar to lemon). Everyone’s taste is different, so I encourage you to try different things until something works for you.

• jen-cueva

March 19, 2024 at 3:48 pm

Hi @Perry Abet Mamigonian , I LOVE using sumac! It’s so good on rice and many other things when I cook. It sounds like we have similar tastes in food. I also use lemon and garlic. But the best part, and it’s fun if you feel up to it, is experimenting with different flavors.

What’s your favorite foods to use sumac on?

Thanks for sharing, Perry. I hope you and Susie are doing well. 🤗