Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members How Well Do You Take Care Of Your Health?

• How Well Do You Take Care Of Your Health?

Posted by Colleen on May 11, 2020 at 2:20 pm

While seeing to the needs of your loved one how well are you taking care of yourself? Are you paying attention to symptoms you might be experiencing that should be discussed with a doctor? Are making and keeping medical appointments? Are you remembering to take prescribed medication or do you forget sometimes? How well are you eating and sleeping?

I’m behind on appointments and haven’t been doing real well at taking care of myself. This year I made a Mother’s Day resolution to improve. What about you?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jen-cueva

May 12, 2020 at 8:00 am

@colleensteele, I think this is so important for caregivers to remember. As a caregiver, parent, or spouse, too often, your health is neglected. I was just reminding my Moma this yesterday. She needs these reminders often.

I am happy to hear that you are planning to work on this. I know that as a mom, we tend to put ourselves last. Adding to that, a sick loved one makes it even more difficult. Kudos to you, and I hope that I can help you stay on top of your health. YOU are worth it!

What if everyone here held one another accountable for doing just this? You could share your improvements in our Weekly Wins. What are you doing this week to take better care of yourself? Let’s talk about this some more.

• Colleen

May 12, 2020 at 1:18 pm

@jenc great idea about making this a weekly conversation. My column next week will be about taking better care of myself as a caregiver. I’ll mention Weekly Wins when I write it.

I am going to PT for my arm 2 times a week and actually headed to an appointment soon. In addition to the PT I am making an effort to actually make time for the exercises that they have assigned for me to do at home. It actually takes effort to make time for that.

• jen-cueva

May 12, 2020 at 5:07 pm

@colleensteele, I am happy to hear that this is your focus. I’m sending you kudos for doing the PT that will benefit you and for scheduling a much-needed appointment. These are all weekly wins, and I’m excited to read your column.

Caregivers can care for us best if they take care of themselves- hugs to you.