Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms Managing the Side Effects of Diuretics

• Managing the Side Effects of Diuretics

Posted by Brittany Foster on June 18, 2018 at 11:16 am

One of our forum members started a conversation about diuretics and I thought I would add to what was said. Diuretics are often prescribed to those that have extra fluid retention. It helps get rid of the extra congestion throughout the body. When the fluid is less, it is easier to breathe and it reduces the workload of the heart. Although it is a medication that helps with the discomfort from swelling and bloating, it’s not without side effects of its own.

In the conversation, there was talk about the urgency to use the bathroom after taking the pills. My body gets rid of the water by making me have to run to the bathroom after drinking any fluid. This can get in the way of plans, make me late for an event, and disrupt my daily schedule. Another uncomfortable side effect from this that I have noticed is feeling light headed. As much as fluid makes me go to the bathroom more, it helps with this side effect from dehydration. Diuretics may also cause muscle cramping. Sometimes potassium can help with this!

Do you take a diuretic during the day? What uncomfortable side effects have you experienced? How do you manage the effects from this medication?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.