Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Weekly Wins My weekly win begins with you!

• My weekly win begins with you!

Posted by Colleen Steele on April 1, 2024 at 6:26 pm

Hello, dear PHriends!

My deepest apology for having been absent from the forums for so long! I can’t think of a better win to kick off a new month and week than returning to work and catching up with all of you!

Thank you, co-forum moderator and amazing friend @jen-cueva, for moderating the forums on her own for as long as she has. I have no doubt that, as always, she has taken loving, compassionate care of all of you!

As many of you know, my husband passed away in April 2023 (not from PH), and since then, life has thrown me one curve ball after another. In December, I moved from WA to NJ to care for my elderly parents, who have dementia. My parents and son ended up hospitalized with the flu during the week of Christmas. When I got everyone back home and healthy and rang in the new year, pipes froze and burst at my home in WA. I flew back to WA to deal with what turned out to be a nightmare experience from January until final completion in mid-March. I’m back in NJ taking care of my parents, and once again, I look forward to helping you all navigate life with PH as best I can.

I have missed the opportunity to welcome many new members. I am a co-moderator with Jen Cueva and look forward to getting to know you! I’m very sorry you have PH, but I am so glad you found us!

Thank you for your love, prayers, and support over a very difficult year!

Love and appreciation,

Colleen Steele

Colleen Steele replied 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Terese Tuohey

April 2, 2024 at 2:22 pm

Colleen, Welcome back to the Forum! I, for one, truly missed you and your words of wisdom and encouragement for all of us. Perhaps with the return of springtime in NJ, life will settle a bit for you. All things do pass. Hugs, my friend!

• jen-cueva

April 2, 2024 at 5:25 pm

Well said, @Terese Tuohey ! Yes, @Colleen was missed so much here. She’s our gentle reminder no matter what we are dealing with. 💜

• Colleen Steele

April 2, 2024 at 8:18 pm

@Terese Tuohey I feel like you just gave me a big hug! Thank you so much for your kind welcome back!

• jen-cueva

April 2, 2024 at 5:24 pm

Woo-hoo, this is our Weekly Win, too, @Colleen. I hope and pray that your Spring will come and offer you much rest and joy. You’ve had so much on your plate, my dear friend. I can’t imagine now how challenging it is for you to manage both parents with dementia. But I’m grateful you all have each other to lean on. But please don’t forget to carve out some “Colleen time” to take care of your mental and emotional needs.

We are always here with open arms, ready to support you and for you. Extra love, hugs, and positive prayers continue to be with you and your family. 💜🤗

• Colleen Steele

April 2, 2024 at 8:22 pm

Thank you as always @jen-cueva for your love, support and concern. I had a very long day on the phone straightening out Medicare issues for my parents among other things. When I decided to call it a day, I was exhausted! Cullen suggested he and I go out to eat. Guess what! By sheer accident we found a little family owned Italian restaurant that had the same feel, ambiance and amazing food as the special little Italian restaurant we loved in WA. We enjoyed a delicious meal and now we have a place to go for special occasions. I returned home feeling relaxed so I am trying to make time to care for myself too.

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2024 at 2:19 pm

Aww, @Colleen, I can’t begin to say it enough…I am SO incredibly proud of the young man Cullen is! He has conquered more milestones within the last few years than I can imagine. But it’s his admiration and love for you and his family that I tear up. It’s almost like he’s like, Mom, you took such incredible care of me. Now, let me help you take care of yourself and your parents!

I hope things with Medicare smooth out for you soon.

Yummy and I am so excited that y’all found another quaint Italian place to feel “homey” and give you that vibe and those memories you shared in the one in WA.💜😋

• Colleen Steele

April 5, 2024 at 9:55 am

@jen-cueva I kind of choked up when you said, “<i style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>Mom, you took such incredible care of me. Now, let me help you take care of yourself and your parents!”

I hadn’t thought about it but knowing Cullen, you are probably right. He is such a huge help to me.

The new family owned Italian restaurant is perfect and the owner is so sweet! She chatted with us for a bit, asked our names, and wanted to get to know these new people who are going to become her regulars.

• jen-cueva

April 5, 2024 at 12:02 pm

Oh, my sweet friend and FWW, @Colleen, you may choke up —but I can only imagine Cullen saying that to you! He’s such an amazing young man; that’s a huge thanks to you and Brian!🙏

I’m incredibly grateful you and Cullen stumbled upon that little family-owned Italian spot. It sounds like a lovely place. 💜

• Roger Bliss

April 2, 2024 at 8:27 pm

Welcome back! You were missed, but we understand that family comes first. I hope you have everything under control and life doesn’t throw you anymore problems. You are/have been in our thoughts and prayers.

• Colleen Steele

April 2, 2024 at 8:32 pm

@Roger Bliss thank you! My biggest challenge right now is convincing my parents, especially my mother, to allow me to help them. I’m slowly making progress with that. On a positive note, I’m enjoying my time with them and making as many happy memories as I can.

How are you doing? Any special plans for the summer?

• Roger Bliss

April 2, 2024 at 11:51 pm

You just have to be careful the situation doesn’t ruin your health. My BIL had it. He died 3 years ago, his wife still has all kinds of health problems from dealing with him. She ended up hiring people to help her so she could get a break.

I am doing great after my hospital stay. I explained what was going on in another post to you

• Colleen Steele

April 3, 2024 at 8:18 pm

@Roger Bliss I have had a number of people express concern for my well-being. I appreciate your concern as well! Right now I feel like I am managing the situation well. There are some bad days but it’s not every day. I’m going to try to care for them on my own but if it gets to the point that for their wellness and my own, help is necessary, I will seek some.

My son is a great help but he is leaving for college in August so that might be a time when I will need to consider some home aid.

• jen-cueva

April 4, 2024 at 2:24 pm

Hi @Colleen, yes, ma’am, so many worry about you and your health. But I also know how important this is for you to be there and do what you can for your parents. Cullen is an incredible help, but yes, he will be off in only a few months!

Please know getting help, if and when it’s needed is OK! Take time for you, mt dear friend and FWW!

• DeLois Tweedy

April 6, 2024 at 10:33 am

Colleen, it is soooo good to see your posts again. You, along with Jen, offer such wisdom and encouragement to us fellow PH travelers. It’d good to hear that you are finally getting some semblance of a routine back in your life. My Mother had Alzheimers and I certainly can relate to you on that point – your feelings, your hard, exhausting work….please do take care of yourself as well. Getting assistance is not bad, it’s just another level of love; a worn out caregiver is not able to give to others or yourself. Get assistance when you need it, so you can concentrate on being a daughter, a mother, and have time for yourself.

Again, it so good to see you back. Please know I have been lifting you and your family up in prayers and will continue to do so: for health, for peace, for rest, and for emotional well-being. 🙏 Big hugs to you!

• Colleen Steele

April 8, 2024 at 7:20 pm

@DeLois Tweedy I’m sorry to hear how well you can relate. It’s so hard watching a loved ones mind slowly slip away. I appreciate you and all of our members more than I can say. I look forward to popping on the forums every day to offer support and receive some in return. Thank you so much for your kindness!