Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Working With PH October Is Disability Employment Awareness Month

• October Is Disability Employment Awareness Month

Posted by jen-cueva on October 13, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Did you know that October is Disability Employment Awareness Month? This year also makes 30 years since the American Disability Act (ADA) and the 75th anniversary of the National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM).

This is a huge year for those of us with disabilities that can continue to work. Even if, like me, it is a few hours per week. Often because PH is mostly an invisible disability, the struggles are not the same as those with visible liabilities. That being said, we still have to talk about how our disabilities affect employment. For me, missing days and unable to function some days would not allow me to continue my nursing work. I am grateful for this company, who realizes that I may have bad days, but I am worthy, and they believe in me. It is mostly run by others who have rare diseases. They have given me purpose, and I cannot appreciate that enough.

Do you mention your PH to your employers? Have you had any issues with your employers related to your PH and your disabilities? Let’s talk about this and way that may help you and your employers understand PH a bit more.

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.