• Posted by Meghan Nevada on March 18, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Hi All,

I’m 29 years old and recently diagnosed with idiopathic PAH (Jan 2021). My husband and I had just started trying to conceive when we learned about my diagnosis. We don’t have any children yet. I’ve been dreaming about our kids for 10 years so I am not ready to give up on having a biological child. My genetic panel came back negative so no concern of passing this along. I also don’t have any other comorbidities at this time (knock on wood).

I’m interested to hear from others what paths you chose to start a family. Did you proceed with pregnancy in spite of your diagnosis? Did you use IVF? Did you use a surrogate? How was the egg retrieval process?

I am painfully aware of the risk to myself and a baby if I were to become pregnant. I also know that adoption is an option, but I would like to explore others first. Just trying to get a sense of what others have lived through and decided for their families 🙂

Colleen replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

March 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Hi @mknevada, this is an excellent question despite it being painful for many. I do have a few PHriends who have had a baby, and all was ok. Of course, as you mentioned, you know the risks involved.

I have heard of one couple using IVF. Just remember, like our PH stages, meds, etc., this too is based on each individual.

I hope that some others within the forums can offer you some more helpful information. But I did want to share this link in case you want to watch this.

-Big hugs, my neighbor <3

• Colleen

March 19, 2021 at 2:23 pm

@mknevada I’m sorry you are going through this but so happy that you brought it up. I’m sure you are not alone with this concern. It’s a topic not discussed enough in the PH world. I hope some of our members will jump in and share their feelings and experience.