This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Cueva 1 month ago.

• Author
     Colleen Steele 
    Keymaster

When living with Pulmonary Hypertension you learn to plan ahead in order to be prepared in case of a medical emergency. What if you are faced with a different type of emergency such as a natural disaster? Do you live in an area where this might be a concern and if so, have you prepared or planned in some way to cover your pulmonary hypertension needs should something like this happen? Have you experienced first hand a natural disaster and if so, what did you learn from the experience in regard to your medical care that could help others prepare for such an emergency?

Here is a link from the PH Association with a list of suggestions in preparing for a natural disaster.

https://phassociation.org/patients/living-with-ph/emergency-situations/preparing-for-natural-disasters/

Jen Cueva 
    Participant

Great topic, Colleen, as this is very important for us PH patients. Unfortunately, I live in an area with hurricanes and we have had a few tornados.

I think that the link you shared is a great tool. I’ve had to evacuate twice now since having PH. The last time was almost two years ago with Hurricane Harvey. We had to evacuate at the last minute as they didn’t think it was going to be as bad. It was not fun but thankfully I had my meds and enough air to last a few extra weeks. We finally it to a hotel about 4 hours away. It was such a cute small town, we tried to explore there a little in between resting.

I was mostly prepared as I had called and ordered back up meds the week prior, once I knew that there was even a chance we may have to evacuate. We also have a generator and I have a POC. I keep my emergency medical info on he and extra copies. I have to say, my Specialty Pharmacy was great!

I never thought about an EKG report etc. I do know a late PHriend who would keep her most recent health reports on a flash drive. I’ve never been too tech savvy, so I’m still all paper, lol

Colleen Steele 
    Keymaster

This column was recently posted to our PH News homepage. It has good tips in preparing for a natural disaster.

Natural Disaster Preparedness Tips for PH Patients

Jen Cueva 
      Participant

Thanks for sharing my column, @colleensteele. I hope that others can learn from it.

Hope everyone is having a good week, so far.

Brittany Foster 
        Keymaster

Definitely better to be over prepared than under prepared ! When I was first put on oxygen I made sure to get a a medical form for the gas and electric company so that if our power went out they would have me on the top priority list. It really came in handy one year when we had mini tornadoes come through our neighborhood knocking over some power lines. My dad also works as a linesman for National Grid so it helped to get them to our house quickly. Our neighborhood could thank me for that! I always make sure that I’m with someone during hurricanes or when I feel like the power might go off. I never stay home alone in the middle of any storm. My boyfriend a few years ago during a blizzard made sure that my oxygen was charging all day in case we lost power LOL true love right there. He came home from work and everything just to check on my tanks.

Colleen Steele 
        Keymaster

It’s an informative article @jenc. I remember posting this topic and thought it should be added here.bB

@brittany-foster, that boyfriend of yours is a keeper!

Brittany Foster 
    Keymaster

He sure is ! I remember being totally shocked when he came home to do that. LOL that usually does NOT happen, but it honestly was predicted to be a really bad blizzard so he was right to take extra caution and check up on me. I was really appreciative of it !

Jen Cueva 
      Participant

I totally read that and thought, Blizzard, as in DQ, ice cream- Maybe I am in need of a snack, Hehe

That is an important tip, @brittany-foster. I am also on a list with my local power company similar to that. we are total electric, so no gas, but an important tip that others may not be aware of. And, may make all of your neighbors like you more, LOL

I agree with you, @colleensteele, her boyfriend is certainly a keeper. It is tough to find good ones. I am lucky to have one, too. They are out there, a positive for those looking.

Informative and thankfully not needed as we were/ are having a tropical depression threat here in our area. It did stop raining for now, so I am happy. But prepared.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account