• jen-cueva

June 25, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Great topic, Colleen, as this is very important for us PH patients. Unfortunately, I live in an area with hurricanes and we have had a few tornados.

I think that the link you shared is a great tool. I’ve had to evacuate twice now since having PH. The last time was almost two years ago with Hurricane Harvey. We had to evacuate at the last minute as they didn’t think it was going to be as bad. It was not fun but thankfully I had my meds and enough air to last a few extra weeks. We finally it to a hotel about 4 hours away. It was such a cute small town, we tried to explore there a little in between resting.

I was mostly prepared as I had called and ordered back up meds the week prior, once I knew that there was even a chance we may have to evacuate. We also have a generator and I have a POC. I keep my emergency medical info on he and extra copies. I have to say, my Specialty Pharmacy was great!

I never thought about an EKG report etc. I do know a late PHriend who would keep her most recent health reports on a flash drive. I’ve never been too tech savvy, so I’m still all paper, lol

• Colleen

September 16, 2019 at 5:50 pm

This column was recently posted to our PH News homepage. It has good tips in preparing for a natural disaster.
    https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/2019/09/13/natural-disaster-preparedness-tips-patients/

• jen-cueva

September 17, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for sharing my column, @colleensteele. I hope that others can learn from it.

Hope everyone is having a good week, so far.

• Brittany Foster

September 17, 2019 at 1:04 pm

Definitely better to be over prepared than under prepared ! When I was first put on oxygen I made sure to get a a medical form for the gas and electric company so that if our power went out they would have me on the top priority list. It really came in handy one year when we had mini tornadoes come through our neighborhood knocking over some power lines. My dad also works as a linesman for National Grid so it helped to get them to our house quickly. Our neighborhood could thank me for that! I always make sure that I’m with someone during hurricanes or when I feel like the power might go off. I never stay home alone in the middle of any storm. My boyfriend a few years ago during a blizzard made sure that my oxygen was charging all day in case we lost power LOL true love right there. He came home from work and everything just to check on my tanks.

• Colleen

September 17, 2019 at 9:12 pm

It’s an informative article @jenc. I remember posting this topic and thought it should be added here.bB

@brittany-foster, that boyfriend of yours is a keeper!

• Brittany Foster

September 18, 2019 at 7:37 am

He sure is ! I remember being totally shocked when he came home to do that. LOL that usually does NOT happen, but it honestly was predicted to be a really bad blizzard so he was right to take extra caution and check up on me. I was really appreciative of it !

• jen-cueva

September 18, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I totally read that and thought, Blizzard, as in DQ, ice cream- Maybe I am in need of a snack, Hehe

That is an important tip, @brittany-foster. I am also on a list with my local power company similar to that. we are total electric, so no gas, but an important tip that others may not be aware of. And, may make all of your neighbors like you more, LOL

I agree with you, @colleensteele, her boyfriend is certainly a keeper. It is tough to find good ones. I am lucky to have one, too. They are out there, a positive for those looking.

Informative and thankfully not needed as we were/ are having a tropical depression threat here in our area. It did stop raining for now, so I am happy. But prepared.

• jen-cueva

August 22, 2020 at 11:13 am

Hey y’all, I wanted to do a “roll call” as there are many natural disasters around the world at this time. In addition to all of the other challenges that we are dealing with in 2020, we now have wildfires and tropical storms to add to the mix.

Because I live on the Texas Gulf Coast, yesterday, when my hubby was home, we did errands to prepare for any upcoming storms. I prefer to prepare just in case. We have 2 tropical storms that they are watching out in the gulf. Many of you live in the states that may be affected, too. Others live in the areas of raging wildfires.

An older column was shared above in another comment that I wrote about my family’s experience during Hurricane Harvey a few years ago.

How are y’all coping? Do y’all have everything that y’all need? Has anyone needed to evacuate yet? Positive thoughts and prayers are with y’all. Stay strong and stay safe.

• jen-cueva

September 15, 2020 at 11:28 am

I just wanted to post on this important topic again. There is a Hurricane; Sally headed toward t the Gulf Coast. Thankfully, we are not in this cone of uncertainty. But, many of my family members, including my parents and some colleagues, are in these paths.

Anyone on the Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Florida Gulf Coast? Prayers that all stay safe, keep us updated when you can.

• jen-cueva

September 8, 2022 at 1:35 pm

I wanted to share this topic again because many have been dealing with heatwave, fires, floods, and other natural disasters. How well prepared are you and your families if any of these natural disasters affect you or your family?

I was more familiar with preparing for hurricanes when we lived on the Texas Gulf Coast. Now, I am learning tips about fire preparations. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• ky

September 9, 2022 at 8:15 am

@JenC this is a good topic, we live in the foothills and had a fire scare a while back but our fire crews were amazing and got it out so we didn’t need to evacuate. Fire is a hard one… but we have a fire safe to keep birth certificates, SS cards and passports and any other really important documents. Its all in a folder in there too that way we can do a quick grab -or if its extremely urgent we know that at least that information will survive! Bryan also put in extra sprinklers and if needed we plan to leave with ours running hahaha. Perhaps during fire season have a grab bag with one outfit each and of coarse extra water and we also keep an extra blanket in our trunk (or two in the winter). I haven’t thought about having extra of all Bryan’s medications but that would be wise!! We live in earthquake territory and have food storage, extra water and a generator, and lucky us we have our camping trailer and lots of camping gear! I keep a few emergency items in trailer at all times including non perishable food. For those in cold climates, or traveling through cold mountain ranges, during winter toss extra gloves, hats, coats and water in the trunk … We also have two first aid kits one it the trailer and one in the house that we load in the car for road trips and bryan wants a few to just leave in our trunks… maybe we are Overboard … hahaha with so many kids and being first response to several large accidents we are always glad to be a bit Over prepared!! Thanks for the reminder to get extra meds in the first aid kits!!

• jen-cueva

September 9, 2022 at 11:00 am

Hi @kygon, thankful you and your family weren’t in danger from those fires. As always, we must stay prepared. I can imagine that you are over-prepared, but those extra meds are always important.

@mamabear007, how are you doing this fire season? All safe in your area? You came to mind when talking about fires.

We do need a new fire safe to keep. I believe I saw several nice-sized ones at Costco the last time we were there. I usually have a hospital “go bag” ready with a change of clothes and extra underwear, LOL. That is because I was stuck during the lockdown at the hospital, and no one could be with me. I was here longer than anticipated. One evening after work, Manny went to Marshall’s or one of those stores and bought me 2-3 pairs of underwear and the cutest button-up short PJs.

We kept our generator, and it’s easily accessible, with extra gas cans, etc. You have a great backup, Ky, with the camper. Just don’t forget to keep the hammocks nearby. Those will be great to destress in any natural disaster.

I have a new form with our local power company, so they know I’m on oxygen. It’s great to have, and all should if you use any oxygen. Plus, we need the AC on for us and other medical devices that require energy.

Fridges for those meds that need to stay cool are something to think about, too. Has anyone who requires refrigerated medications had to find a plan B? How did that go?

Thanks, @kygon, for your excellent tips in many different situations. Let’s all stay prepared and hope we never have to use our emergency backups.

• Debbie Moore

September 13, 2022 at 8:12 am

I have only thought of staying home if there was a disaster, so y’all have given me lots to think about.  I have a whole house generator and lots of propane to keep it running, extra air bottles and a POC.  Never thought about contacting the electric company about my oxygen need.  I’ll do that today. If I had to leave, I too have a camper.  I think I will get it stocked with my air tubes and cannulas, canned food, etc, so I wouldn’t have to be stocking last minute.  I do have an emergency bag in all of the cars.  Great ideas and thoughts.  You can never be too prepared.  We had an ice storm in Augusta, GA years back and were not as prepared as we should be.  We learned a lot.  Generator, 55 gal H2O, extra water bottles, fresh instant coffee (he,he), more lanterns, etc.  So at home, I feel prepared, but not if I had to leave.  Thanks!

• jen-cueva

September 13, 2022 at 10:54 am

Hi @debbie, I’m happy that you found this topic helpful. Unfortunately, we all live in areas prone to some sort of natural disaster. So, it’s best to prepare ahead of these events.

I would also suggest extra medications for yourself, your hubby, and anyone else needing them. Preparing your camper ahead of time sounds like an excellent plan; @kygon has many tips as they also have a camper that she says over prepared for anything.

Many are unaware of contacting their electric company about any oxygen BIPAP or CPAP machines that require electricity. Your oxygen company should also have larger backup tanks in case you need them. Mine is almost as tall as me and in the spare room in the corner; for now, There’s no way I could lug that around.

We went to Costco Sunday evening, and I forgot to look for the new fire safe. I’ll have to make a note, so I don’t forget.

• jen-cueva

September 29, 2022 at 6:54 pm

I wanted to check in and see how our PHamily in Florida is after the hurricane. Is everyone staying safe? Let us know that you and your loved ones are safe when you can.

I’ve been in your shoes a few times, so my thoughts and prayers are with y’all.

• jen-cueva

April 5, 2024 at 12:25 pm

Hey, y’all, I wanted to revisit this topic after I heard about the wild earthquake affecting the East Coast. This is always an excellent time for us all to plan. We never think of these natural disasters until one hit, and often, it’s too late.

So, let’s hear it- what will you do to help create a plan in case of a natural disaster?

• Roger Bliss

April 5, 2024 at 11:22 pm

In AK we have backups for everything…..generator, alternative heat, well for water, septic system, drums of gas. We have prepare for power outages in the winter. There are several earthquakes every day…..most are so small nobody feels them. Can feel several every year at our place.

https://earthquake.alaska.edu/

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2024 at 11:09 am

Hi, @Roger Bliss, and thanks for sharing some of the ways you stay prepared in Alaska for natural disasters. Yeah, we have those light earthquakes more often than most think. But as you mentioned, no one feels those smaller ones. It’s weird that the areas that are now experiencing them are places people have not felt them before.

• DeLois Tweedy

April 6, 2024 at 10:43 am

Jen, fortunately the earthquake did not affect Virginia, but I have lived through one and a tornado too. I feel for the people who experienced this, and know the aftershocks continue.

Hope everyone is doing well with the strange weather we have been having across the U.S. I feel relatively prepared for disaster, but wish I had a generator for power outages. I need my BIPAP!

• jen-cueva

April 9, 2024 at 11:17 am

Hi @DeLois Tweedy, thanks for sharing that you didn’t feel the earthquake in Virginia. But like you, I’ve been through tornadoes and hurricanes. But I’ve also been through earthquakes in the past when I was younger. Since we have been back to SoCal, the ones we’ve had, I haven’t yet felt them. None of these natural disasters are fun, as you well know.

Maybe you could find a small generator that is enough to run your BIPAP, and while not running that, maybe the fridge, etc. In Texas, we thought about getting a whole house looked into a generator instead of our portables, but it was over $12,000, and that was at least three years ago. Thanks for sharing. Maybe you look around before anything comes up because when storms are brewing, people are buying up all those supplies