• Posted by Libby on April 3, 2019 at 9:03 pm

I tried to post a photo but it wouldn’t let me. Anywho, my recent echocardiogram that was done as part of my stress test came back abnormal. It says my QRS duration is at 158 ms. Normal range is 90 to 110. It also said I have a nonspecific intrventricular conduction block. Anyone know what this stuff means in English? I understand you guys aren’t doctors, just trying to get a better understanding!!

Kathleen Sheffer replied 5 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Brittany Foster

April 4, 2019 at 8:39 am

Hey Libby,
    Definietly something to ask your doctors about ! I have bifascicular heart block which is something that I was born with but caused a lot of miscommunication between the top part and lower part of the heart. Sometimes my heart would go into flutter where it would skip beats or the top part would beat faster than the bottom half (SVT) . This caused symptoms for me and I ended up with a pacemaker. Usually with heart rhythm abnormalities if you’re experiencing symptoms the doctors will make sure that that’s not your “normal”. Especially if the EKG has shown that before. I would say that if the doctors didn’t point this out to you as a problem then this might be “normal” for you. I know there are certain medications that prolong the QRS duration, especially certain medications to control heart rate and medications for anxiety/depression. I would ask the doctor if this is a cause for concern for you and if this is something that is a usual/unusual finding. If they say that it’s unusual then they may want to do a repeat EKG, look at the possible causes of it, and look into it further. Definitely give your doctors office a call though. I’m only speaking from my experiences an I would let them know that you’re just concerned because of the results and want someone to explain it to you.

• Kathleen Sheffer

April 4, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hey Libby, can you send me the photo over private message so I can add it to your post? Glad Brittany knows what those terms are because I sure don’t!