Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Spreading the Love and Positive Vibes. Share Something Good!

• Spreading the Love and Positive Vibes. Share Something Good!

Posted by Brittany Foster on February 15, 2019 at 11:36 am

Just yesterday, one of our members @kaye-norlin gave a great idea for a forum topic and suggested a topic where people can write about something positive that happened to them. It seems like with a lot of things in life, especially when managing a chronic illness, it is easy to get caught up in the negative. It is a breath of fresh air when someone writes about a good thing that happened to them or an encounter that wasn’t expected but helped to make their day better.

I figured this topic could be a place for members to spread some love and share something positive that happened during their day or during their past week.

I can start off this thread by saying that when I was at the grocery store this week, I was feeling tired, probably looking very tired and just didn’t feel like being there. I was expecting the total of my groceries to be a lot less than it was and when I got to the register I realized I was almost $10.00 short and started thinking of what items to put back. I could feel the redness in my face from the embarrassment of not having enough money on me. There was a woman standing behind me who reached over and asked the lady behind the counter how much I owed. When the woman told her, the kind lady waiting behind me said “don’t worry about it, I’ll cover the rest for you.” I honestly could have cried at the kindness and compassion she possessed and it truly made my day.

Let’s spread some positive vibes on this post and tell me something good that has happened to you this week, today, or recently that sticks out in your mind. Let’s keep this post going and share what made you smile.

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Kimberly

February 18, 2019 at 11:10 am

Spreading the love and positive vibes, share something good that in itself is a feel-good Title. Two Mondays ago exactly 14 days to the day I began fostering a beautiful little basset hound. His name is Buckley, he is five years old, and he has brought immense joy to my life within the last two weeks. Because of Buckley I get outside more, I walk a little more; it’s hard on the lungs to breathe with all the extra walking but it’s good for me.

• Brittany Foster

February 18, 2019 at 6:19 pm

That’s so awesome that are fostering the beautiful dog! So great to get out there and start walking with the dogs too. Pets really do become more like family members when they cheer you up and bring so much joy back to your life. It’s a great feeling to hold onto and I’m sure you now have something great to look forward to ” coming home” to. Props to your dog for getting you out there and moving ! Little does he know, he is helping his mom a LOT!

• Kaye Norlin

February 19, 2019 at 9:31 am

I love dogs, so that is so cool. I can’t wait to get another as soon as my team tells me it is ok! The thing that has happened to my family recently is that my daughter Meg got a job- not just a job- but a career position!!!!! She uses a wheelchair and has Cerebral Palsy; it is very difficult for people to get jobs when they have disabilities, as many of us know. She is a college graduate and we live in a small town- even worse. She will be moving very soon to Springfield, IL which is our state capital to work for the IL Network for Centers for Independent Living. Today was even better. She got her new wheelchair which only took 2 years between Medicaid and Medicare, but she got it! It is awesome! Now for an apartment.
    Also, I just heard from the lawyer who is getting my Non-profit up and running. It is a go!!!!!!!!! It is called Creative Connections NFP. It will be a center for creative endeavors, yoga, dance, voice, art, music, theater, and anything else we can think of. The beauty is that this is designed for the 99%- those people who cannot afford to pay $15-25 for dance, voice, yoga, etc., for people with disabilities, chronic illnesses, cancer…who have no where else to participate. Everyone is welcome. it is a wonderful world!

• Brittany Foster

February 19, 2019 at 10:03 am

Hi Kaye,
      I love dogs too. I have to say though, I wasn’t totally in love with animals as a kid and always got so nervous around them/

On a GREAT note, that is so amazing to hear about your daughter. It must make you so thrilled for her and so proud of her. I feel excited for her and I don’t even know her personally but hearing that just made my day! She has a new job, some new wheels and now hopefully a new apartment.

I absolutely am so pumped for you in getting that non-profit started. That sounds like something that should be done all over the United States ! Creativity and the arts helps SOOOOO much! I always wanted to implement an idea like that into adult hospitals. You know how children’s hospitals have a lot of creative outlets for the kids? I think the same should be done for the adults so the hospitals don’t seem so depressing. Art is a great escape for anyone going through difficulty. You are a gift to this world Kaye !

• Kaye Norlin

February 24, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Thanks, Brittany! for the NFP, I had to wait until I retired before I could start it. So I hope it gets going very soon. Meg moves Thursday so that is exciting. Although she is having second thoughts, I think she will be happy after a bit. All she has talked about for years is getting a job and getting out of this area where options are limited. I think she is afraid something may happen to me and she won’t be here; I have family near her new town so they could get her here in a few hours. Plus, she will have to learn to cook! There are friends here too but they all drive and Springfield is a fun town with lots to do so….

The NFP is going to take up a lot of time, but it will be so worth it. Hopefully, it will be there in decades- paying it forward!

• Brittany Foster

February 25, 2019 at 7:36 am

I hope so too Kaye and it certainly will give you a lot of good things to focus on in the upcoming months and years. I know that it will be a great thing for you to do and I’m hoping all the best for you. Do you have others who are helping you on this or are you working on it with friends or co-workers? It must be a lot of work to get something like this started but it will DEFINITELY be worth it !

• Kaye Norlin

February 24, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Positive vibes go to my friend Christina who survived a lung transplant and spent 4 months in hospital, after being on life support and in a coma. She is home doing well and is the darling of the unit she spent so much time on! Good going Christina!

• Brittany Foster

February 25, 2019 at 7:38 am

That’s such incredible news for your friend Christina!!! She ROCKS!!! If you don’t mind me asking, what was her lung transplant for? Did she have PH? It must have been so hard being in the hospital for all that time. But after that long it becomes your “new normal” which makes going home seem weird. I get that way even after just 12 days in the hospital, nevermind 4 months!

• Robin Webster

February 26, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Such great news for your friend Christina!!!

• Kaye Norlin

February 25, 2019 at 7:34 am

I have to sharer something great that happened 2 years ago. My family and I finished the last education session and all the testing for my lung transplant and we stopped at one of my favorite places to celebrate. We don’t drink so there was no alcohol on our bill, but we didn’t hold back on the food, especially since one of the great foods that I love I will no longer be allowed to eat (carpaccio). We splurged! I asked for the bill and the waiter told us that the check had been paid by someone! We wonder sometimes if he/she regretted it when they saw our splurge but how generous and unexpected! Pay if forward however you can- amounts don’t matter but the act does.

…..and I grew up on a farm so we had all sorts of animals. I can’t have a horse anymore but I can still ride sometime so that’s good. We will get another dog after a bit. Dogs find us; we don’t find them so I expect that another will come along when the time is right. We have dogs that have been wonderful: Jake was the smartest dog I ever saw and a great watchdog- almost too good but he was good with kids- just not fond of strange adults until you sat down and he checked you out. he never forgot you after that and he loved seeing you. Cooper was the kindest soul I ever knew; he never chased a squirrel or bird, strayed from the yard (never on a leash or line at home), or met a person he didn’t love. Both of them died in our living room and are in our yard in their favorite spots. Another wonderful dog will come our way at the right time.

• Brittany Foster

February 25, 2019 at 7:42 am

I love the stories of all the dogs, Kaye! I had a dog growing up that we adopted from a pound and it was the best thing my family has ever done. Unfortunately he passed away from old age but I swear I definitely still feel his presence in my mom’s house when I go there. My parents, sister, and nephew who are still living at my mom’s house have a black lab now that they adopted and she’s a good girl! Her name is Rory. (Aurora but Rory for short) She stays right by their side and thinks she is a lap dog even though she’s a big girl but she’s not even 2 yet.

And WOW what a story about your family dinner and someone paying for the bill! That is amazing! There truly are kind people in the world and when a lot of today’s focus is on the negative, it’s refreshing to hear stories that talk about the good of humanity.

• Robin Webster

February 26, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I’m always the happiest when I have something to look forward to (and when I’m cooking.) One of the things we do pretty regularly is a “game night,” and we have one coming up this weekend. It’s a murder mystery dinner game, and this one is called “Murder at the Mardi Gras.” (That doesn’t sound like a “good” thing, does it? But it’s really very funny!) And so of course with it being that theme, I have lots and lots of great dishes to cook. Jambalaya, beef po’ boys, king cake, pralines, and so on! And my house is very festively decorated for it. It takes me a long time, because I have to pace myself out over a period of a couple of weeks for one event. And I’ll need about a week of rest after it. But it’s SO worth it! I’m a happy girl this week!

• Brittany Foster

February 26, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Robin,
      That sounds so entertaining !! Hey, can I come over for game night one night ? LOL!!! You sound like quite the cook and all of your guests must appreciate all the work that you put into it. I love everything with themes like that. I love cooking but because I haven’t been able to eat for the last few months with everything going on and awaiting a surgery so I can get my stomach tube out, I haven’t been into cooking or baking because it’s like pure torture to cook and not be able to have any! I love it though, it is so calming for me and just passes the days by so quickly. I’m thankful for Pinterest right now because I am saving so many great looking recipes and really hope to get back to cooking and eating again real soon! What are some of your favorite things to cook/bake?

• Robin Webster

February 26, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Brittany, of course you’d be welcome at a game night! Even when we aren’t doing games, I do dozens of themed food events all year. A whole buffet of shark oriented foods for Shark Week is probably my strangest one. (Not real shark though. It actually doesn’t taste like much of anything.) It’s frustrating when you love to cook or bake and you can’t eat, isn’t it? I hope that problem will be solved for you soon. I’ve been having some G.I. bleed issues on and off for several months and have had long stretches of being restricted to liquids or baby food. I have still cooked like crazy, because it is the one thing that really takes away my anxiety. My hubby has been eating quite well, and so have all his friends at work! haha! My favorite dishes to make are usually something kind of unique that most folks don’t regularly eat, and I like to try to get my ethnic dishes as “authentic” as possible. I’ve been making oxtail stew for years, and was finally able to go to Jamaica to taste an authentic dish at Mama Marley’s just to make sure mine was “on point”! I ended up ordering a few spices online so I could tweak mine. I also really enjoy taking cooking classes when I can. My son-in-law loves to cook and bake, so we do the classes together. We learned how to make French macarons this year, and last weekend we learned pesche con creme (those lovely Italian peach cookies!) I’ll look for you on Pinterest! Maybe we can follow each other and get recipe ideas?

• Brittany Foster

February 26, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Hi Robin,
        Definitely look me up on Pinterest. My boards range from pasta dishes, chicken, sweets, vegan lol you name it I probably have a recipe for it ! Most likely one that I have never even used hahaha! I love cooking too though. I made some food yesterday and it was relaxing and just made the time go pretty quickly which I really enjoy. I think I like cooking even more than baking. I never thoughts I would be quite the chef in the kitchen because growing up, my parents did all the cooking for us. When I moved out I learned quite a bit. my boyfriend is actually surprising me with how good a chef he is, especially with the Italian type dishes. Those are my favorite ! Can’t wait to have some good Italian cooking once all of these complications are done and over with for me. Maybe I could join in on a virtual game night one of the times hahaha!