Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Caregivers and Family Members What are some ways that you have supported caregivers?

• What are some ways that you have supported caregivers?

Posted by Brittany Foster on April 8, 2020 at 11:57 am

Caregivers also need care and love. I have seen people reach out to my mom while we have been in the hospital. Something so simple can really brighten someone’s day. Whether it is a picture from home, a video chat session, or something more personal like sending flowers, food, a gift card etc. It really goes a long way. Today, I sent a friend money for a nice meal that she could get herself after her son had his heart surgery. I know how hard it is to even think about yourself as a caregiver and I wanted to do something nice for her.

What are some kind things you have done, or, if you are a caregiver, what has someone done for you that has made you feel cared for and loved during a difficult time?

Brittany Foster replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jen-cueva

April 8, 2020 at 1:19 pm

This is so important @Brittany. That was thoughtful of you to send to your friend. I hope that her son did well with his heart surgery and recovers without incidence.

I have sent a delivery of food, gift cards, often Starbucks, or something that I can send virtually. Usually, I send cards and just thoughtful notes and reminders for caregivers to take time to themselves. Caregiving is a tough job, physically and mentally. They deserve to be treated, too.

Another thing is to call the caregiver, ask them how “they” are doing. Too often, we are so focused on the patient. We tend to forget to ask about the caregiver, even when calling their phones. Often, they could use a shoulder to cry on, too.

• Brittany Foster

April 9, 2020 at 8:16 am

I agree @jenc they could always use the support too. It helps when people ask my mom how “she is doing” vs just calling to talk about me or ask about me. Half the time my mom makes it seems better than it actually is to those that call. She is always such a positive person, but when I catch her doing this I have to remind her “mom, just tell the truth of how it is. Don’t try to hide things from people”. I don’t want people that care about me to get the wrong idea or think that things are going well when they aren’t. I always try to remind her to be honest, even though sometimes the truth is scary. I think that’s so important.