Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Upcoming Procedures What Is On Your Medical Calendar For December?

• What Is On Your Medical Calendar For December?

Posted by Colleen Steele on December 4, 2023 at 3:07 pm

Have you been gifted a month off, or do you have medical appointments on your calendar in December?

We want to hear about your medical plans this month, and if you have off for the holidays, share how you will spend your time away from the hospital/clinic.

jen-cueva replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 7 Members · 46 Replies
  • 46 Replies
  • jen-cueva

December 5, 2023 at 2:18 pm

Hey, @Colleen and PHamily, this month is slower for me. I had my last dental appointment yesterday, and the eye doctor will be there tomorrow; otherwise, labs and therapists, and I think that’s it.

For 2024, I want to try not to overload and overwhelm myself with so many appointments in one month. I know with PH and my other health concerns, it’s unpredictable. But planning-wise, this is a goal I’ve decided on so far for 2024. keep them,

As I type, my brother-in-law is in surgery for his (half) liver transplant. His older brother is the donor. So, as you can imagine, their mom is a mess worried. Please keep them, Gus and Gary, in your thoughts and prayers. It’s much appreciated! πŸ™

• Colleen Steele

December 6, 2023 at 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness @jen-cueva I just read about Gus and Gary! I’m praying the transplant went well, is a success and recovery goes smoothly for both! Please update when you have news!

My dear friend, I hope you can maintain the easy going December you have planned! You deserve to just be home, with your family and enjoying the holidays without medical related stress!

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:01 am

Thank you so much, @Colleen, @Roger Bliss, and @DeLois Tweedy, for your kindhearted words and prayers for Gus, my BIL, and his brother Gary. Christmas came early as the donor, Gary, is doing well and hoping to be discharged home tomorrow or Monday. He was up and walking the following day.

My BIL, Gus, is doing well, and today, he was up and walking a little. He complains of being sore, but that’s about it so farπŸ™. My apologies, but until he had his second day of surgery and awakened from anesthesia, we didn’t know much at all.

I hope to talk to him tomorrow. But so far, I’ve only spoken with my mom, my sister (his wife), and my niece(his daughter). Yesterday and today, they all sounded much better and “lighter” after their stress and anxiety the first few days. Please continue to keep them all in your thoughts and prayers. My BIL will be at the hospital for at least a week, possibly two. But at this rate, I don’t see them keeping him for two weeks. πŸ™

The positive thoughts and prayers were felt in Texas, everyone! You’re all much appreciated!

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:18 pm

@jen-cueva my prayers continue for Gus. Gary and your family. I know how much transplant is both a scary and exciting time…may it be far more one than the other!

• jen-cueva

December 12, 2023 at 5:39 pm

Thanks, @Colleen, to you and the others for the thoughts and prayers for Gus and his brother, Gary. Gary has been discharged. What a blessing!

My BIL, Gus, is still in ICU but up walking several times per day, and they are keeping his pain well controlled, that’s a positive! It will be a bit longer before he is discharged. My mom, sister, and niece are taking turns staying at the hospital with him. It’s his Christmas wish come true that they finally scheduled it before the end of the year. It’s Christmas for our entire family!πŸ™

• Roger Bliss

December 7, 2023 at 1:11 am

Congrats on your lack of appointments……that’s a good thing.

Sounds like your BIL and his brother are having a hard time. I will put them in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

• DeLois Tweedy

December 5, 2023 at 9:15 pm

I was hoping to be appt free for December, but seems as though the medical appts have crept in uninvited. I had labs today and have 3 more appts this month (PCP, pulmonologist and cardiologist). At least they are somewhat spread out, with the last one being Dec 19th. By then, I will be ready to focus completely on the holidays!

Jen, so sorry for your brother-in-law’s medical issues. I will lift them up in prayer.

• jen-cueva

December 6, 2023 at 12:47 pm

Aww, @DeLois Tweedy, I am sorry you had labs and those appointments this month! I’m thankful you are free after the 19th, and they are spread apart. Maybe this means lunch for three days instead of one. πŸ˜‰

Do you plan to bake or do things with your grandkids for the holidays?

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers for my brother-in-law. He is back in surgery today as they connect everything and sew him up. πŸ™πŸ™His brother is awake and supposed to be walking sometime today, per my last update. They are all in Texas, so it is difficult to get updates, but know he is surrounded by love and prayers.

• Colleen Steele

December 6, 2023 at 9:40 pm

Darn @DeLois Tweedy I’m sorry those appointments snuck into your December schedule. I hope at least they go well and do not bring you any worry during the holidays. Please let us know how they go.

• Colleen Steele

December 6, 2023 at 9:42 pm

I fly to NJ on Dec. 12th to spend the holiday’s with my parents and Cullen. While I’m there Cullen has a few appointments that I will attend with him. I’m anxious especially to meet his lung transplant doctor because she has made some medication changes that I’m concerned about.

I have to return to WA in January to wrap up some things here and then make my official move to NJ.

• Karen Endelman

December 7, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Hi Colleen, Do you mind if I ask if you fly with an oxygen concentrator? I haven’t flown since being diagnosed with PAH a yea and a half ago. I’ve been managing my condition well but don’t know if I can fly without taking a concentrator with me or not. Just wondering how other people do.

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:13 am

Hi @Colleen, it sounds like a busy Christmas and traveling, too. I hope you are leaving ahead of the mass travelers for the holidays. Although I know it will be nice to be “at home” with your parents and Cullen for Christmas, it will also be difficult. πŸ€—

Knowing you, you’ll jump back into your “caregiver” mode and most likely be on the run with appointments for either your parents or Cullen. It sounds interesting that his new lung doctor has changed some medications you are concerned about. Hopefully, meeting her and voicing your concerns will take care of everything. Is Cullen also concerned, or does he trust her more since he has met her?

Please promise me you will have some “down” time and “Colleen” time to find a little joy as you grieve your amazing, charming, and witty Brian. Extra hugs, love, and prayers continue for you and the boys. πŸ™

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:25 pm

@jen-cueva Cullen is a little concerned about the changes too. I’m anxious to go to the appointments.

I will make time to relax and grieve…I’ve been so busy I think when I slow down I will go through another round of deep grieving.

• jen-cueva

December 12, 2023 at 5:43 pm

Hi, @Colleen; please update us on Cullen’s appointments and how things go. What dates are they, again?

Yes, I bet you will begin to grieve more once you find time to slow down. You have had so much on your plate, my dear friend.

• Roger Bliss

December 7, 2023 at 1:07 am

Been having between 4 and 5 doctors appointments/tests each month all summer. Think I had every test in the book. They couldn’t stop the cough I have had since April……pretty frustrating. They gave me a couple of things Trellegy and Albuteral. Those have never worked in the past, but I tried using them all summer……..still didn’t work.

Had an appointment today. Went to a Natural Health Center in Anchorage. The gal there seemed well informed……spent an hour and a half going over my medical records. She told me to start taking NAC and Respiratory EZ for breathing and Stamnets 7 for my immune system. Waiting for them in the mail. I have no idea if they will work, but at least she is trying something. I will let you know if I have any luck with them.

Got an appointment with my oncologist at UCSD December 19th. I assume that will be a non event as my blood tests have been fairly normal (for me anyway) all summer.

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:23 am

Hey, @Roger Bliss, you did have a busy summer with medical appointments. I hope the natural medicine doctor’s suggestions help with your cough. Please do keep us posted if you notice any improvements.

I also met with a natural medicine practitioner through UCSD. My pain doctor suggested her. She fit me right in, and like you, I am waiting for a few supplements to arrive. She also recommended a low dose of medical marijuana product for my ongoing chronic pain. I’m waiting to get that until I can talk to my medical team and see what they think. (Mainly my PH doctor and kidney doctors.) Plus, I’m scared a little, but I also know hospice patients who experienced a decrease in their pain years ago.

Oh, BTW, I met Dr. Yang last Saturday at a PH function that was at UCSD. She was working and came down to say Hi and grab lunch on her break. I told her who I was and how excited you were about her completing your DOT stuff. She was so kind and knew exactly who you were.

Anyway, keep us posted, and happy holidays to you and Mary Ellen! Try and stay out of trouble!πŸ˜€

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:28 pm

@Roger Bliss that is a long time to have a cough! It must have you exhausted!

Fingers crossed the new treatments help! Have they tried prednisone and/or a nebulizer that you can use at home?

• Karen Endelman

December 7, 2023 at 4:06 pm

I have a bunch of things…had lab work done yesterday for an appt with my cardiologist next week; a CT scan and an MRI for an appt next month with my oncologist; more blood work for an appt with my endocrinologist. On top of that I’m moving into a new house at the end of the month and have 2 closings – one for the house I sold and one for the one I’m buying! And I’m working full time! Do I know how to cram a lot into a month, or what? πŸ˜‚

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:27 am

Oh wow, @Karen Endelman ! What a way to end the year, my PHriend! Congrats on the new house!🏠

You’re doing a ton of “cramming” in just a few weeks. Plus, working FT, how do you do it? Kudos to you.

Please keep us posted on how your appointments and the move go! I hope you have movers! Allow others to help and pace yourself!πŸ€—

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:30 pm

@Karen Endelman yikes! You are very busy! I hope it doesn’t take a toll on your health. Make sure to take breaks when you can.

Congratulations on your new home! Do you think you will be moved in by Christmas! How exciting!

• Ande

December 7, 2023 at 7:27 pm

Hello everyone! It’s hard to believe we’re in December already. I am done for the year with medical appointments. I saw my cardiologist on the 4th followed by my iron infusion appointment the same day. Now it’s just recovery week before our youngest daughter and her family arrive from Alaska for Christmas on the 16th. January is loading up quickly though as I am off to see hematology and hopefully get a grip on my iron issues.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

• jen-cueva

December 8, 2023 at 5:31 am

Hi @Ande , congratulations on getting your appointments done, including your infusion, out of the way! I call my iron infusions my “go-juice,” although it doesn’t make me go much faster. But it sounds like you’ll need it for the daughter and her family’s visit from Alaska! Are your kids scattered all over?

Hoping that your hematologist can figure out your iron issues. It is not uncommon, we have realized, in those with PH. There are quite a few of us.

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:32 pm

@Ande I’m so happy for you…a clear calendar and family on their way to you! I wish you and yours a happy and healthy holiday! Try not to worry about all that waits for you in January. Just enjoy what December has in store for you.

• DeLois Tweedy

December 8, 2023 at 5:38 pm

@Colleen, sounds like you have a whirlwind of travel plans! I do wish you safe travels and a most peaceful, happy time with your family. Please get quiet time to reflect and ponder the memories. My second son, who was stillborn, would have been 39 Dec 10. For some reason it is bothering me more this year….I find myself being very tears when I least expect it.

My labs were really good, for which I’m thankful. My thyroid panel was “almost” perfect, so no increasing meds; my kidney function was better than it has been for a while, among other good results.

Jen, yes I plan to bake cookies with my grandkids – it’s not Christmas at Nan’s until we make our sugar cookies! So glad to hear your BIL and his brother are doing well. I continue to lift them up in prayer and send wishes for a great Christmas for them.

• jen-cueva

December 11, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Oh, @DeLois Tweedy, I’m sorry to hear your son was born stillborn. Wow, 39 years ago this month, that has to be difficult. Maybe it’s the age since it’s almost a big 40! But whatever it is, I hope and pray you find much comfort and support from your loved ones. Let the tears flow when they happen; it’s better to process all of our emotions. πŸ€—

What great news that your thyroid and kidney labs showed improvements! That’s a win!

Aww, I bet Nan’s sugar cookies are the best! I can already taste them; I wish I were there to join in the baking fun!

I greatly appreciate the continued thoughts for my BIL and family. They are both doing well and moving along with recovery, thankfully.

• Colleen Steele

December 11, 2023 at 4:39 pm

@DeLois Tweedy I’m so sorry to hear about your son. Grief isn’t something that ever fully goes away. When you lose someone so precious there will always be an ache in your heart for them, especially around the holidays. Maybe buy a special candle and light it in remembrance of him each evening?

So happy to how well your appointments turned out! Hopefully that clears your mind of stress so you can relax and enjoy the season.

• jen-cueva

December 12, 2023 at 5:51 pm

Hi, @Colleen and @DeLois Tweedy – I love buying a unique candle and lighting it to honor your son. Another idea I thought of was to buy an ornament to hang on your tree in his honor each year.

We have doves on our tree in honor of my late MIL and FIL and a cowboy boot-like ornament for my late stepfather.

• Ande

December 10, 2023 at 7:26 pm

Hi @jen-cueva

We do have a large family and they are very scattered. We have 1 in Nevada, 2 in Idaho, 1 in Texas, and 2 in Alaska. It’s nice that they all do their best to get home as often as possible, but with lots of our grandkids still in school it’s usually summer vacations. Daughter #2 just left heading back to Idaho. Her and her husband came for the weekend as they will go spend the holiday with her younger sister who can’t get home this year. This will be our youngest daughters first time home for Christmas in 7 years. Our son and his wife will be coming home in January but they are leaving my granddaughters home. They were wanting a get away weekend.

My iron is absolutely my go juice, but I dislike the fact it seems to take so long for it to kick in. I miss my unlimited energy.

Hope you have a great week ahead!

• jen-cueva

December 11, 2023 at 3:35 pm

Hi @Ande, wow, they are a bit scattered, my PHriend! But it’s also nice knowing they try to come home when possible. As an only daughter living out of state from our parents, I know getting things ready and flying to join the family at once is challenging. We did that in July, so we are staying in SoCal this Christmas with our daughter, my SIL, and her family.

I know you will have an incredible time with your youngest daughter and her family since they haven’t been home for Christmas in 7 years! You must be counting down. What are you most excited to do, besides hug and love them all?

Yep, I miss my energizer bunny vibe. Now, I’m more like a tortoise. 🐒

• jen-cueva

December 13, 2023 at 2:08 pm

We are checking in to see how things are going with your medical appointments this month. We are almost halfway through the month. How have your appointments been so far? Are there any you are nervous about that we can offer you positive thoughts and support?

Please keep us posted, and let’s push through the last few weeks of the month. πŸ’œ

• Carol Volckmann

December 13, 2023 at 7:40 pm

Wow, I sure have missed a lot! Colleen you are in my thoughts and prayers – wishing you safe flight and enjoy time with Cullen and your folks for the holidays. Is Aiden staying here? Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas πŸŽ… and New Year filled with Joy. Safe return to WA getting everything wrapped up and your journey back to NJ. I really hope you do make time to take a breath, relax and have the time and space to grieve. I am surrounding you with love ❀️ and caring hugs πŸ€—.

Jen, I hope your brother-in-law and his brother are now both home and doing well.

I just read your post on Life’s lessons from dying. Beautifully written and something everyone can benefit from whether or not having an illness. My oldest brother who was 87 married for 64 years just died.

Dick nor I want to go out of this world with regrets. Reading your post was an excellent reminder for us – thank you sweet friend πŸ€—.

Medical appointments in December are more as we plan to be on the road in our coach the first week of January heading your way. We will be in the San Diego area for nearly 2 months and back home by the end of February. That means … no medical appointments!!!! Yikes! We just pray we won’t need any!! πŸ™

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸ’• and a New Year filled with Joy 😊 and I pray πŸ™ for those on the Forum who are having a difficult time right now warm hugs and positive outcomes.

• jen-cueva

December 15, 2023 at 9:48 am

Hi @Carol Volckmann , our lovely Colleen made it safely to NJ. She has been nonstop since she arrived, knowing her. Like you, I pray she can find some rest while she allows herself time to grieve. Do you think it will be easier to grieve because you feel comfortable being “home” with your parents (&Cullen)? In the past, I have felt a feeling of comfort like a warm mug of hot cocoa. This comfort I experience at my dad’s or mom’s house takes me back to my childhood- it’s a nostalgia thing, I bet.

Thanks so much, sweet PHriend, for your love and support for my BIL and his brother. His brother was discharged home. However, my BIL is still in ICU and will not be discharged yet. Hopefully, he will get home before Christmas. But his recovery is going well.πŸ™

I’m grateful to learn that my Life Lessons column is something you and Dick both relate to. As you mention, illness or not, living with no regrets is something we can all strive for. But, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your oldest brother, my sweet PHriend. Wow, he was married for 64 years! That’s impressive, Carol! Thinking of you and your family and wrapping you in my arms with love, prayers, and hugs. πŸ€—

I hope you haven’t pushed yourself as you get the motorhome and everything else ready for your trip. I am looking forward to my hug in person.

How have your medical appointments been going this month? Two months without any sounds incredible!

Check-in when you can. Do y’all have any plans for Christmas?πŸŽ„

• Carol Volckmann

December 15, 2023 at 6:51 pm

Thank you sweet friend always for your supportive and kind words. You always put a smile on my face! 😊

My prayers are with you and your family wishing for a joyous Christmas πŸŽ„ with everyone home!

I just had a check in with my PCP going over labs. What I felt were red flags he felt everything was going in the right direction. The only appointments I have left – one telephone consult with a new gastroenterologist and dentist on Jan 2nd. I pray I will not have to see any doctors, tests, ER, etc for the 2 months!!! I cannot remember when I went for even a month without something cropping up. We shall see and keep safe!

So looking forward to that warm hug in person πŸ€— till then, please have a very Merry Christmas with Manny, KK and Zoe 🐢. Take care of each other and take special care of yourself.

Colleen, you and Cullen are in my prayers πŸ™ and sending you warm Christmas πŸŽ„ ❀️ wishes. Be well dear friend and be safe.

• jen-cueva

December 18, 2023 at 1:10 pm

Hi sweet PHriend, @Carol Volckmann . Your PCP thinks you are going in the right direction after that hospitalization. Labs improving is always a positive! Hopefully, you’re not overdoing trying to prepare for your two months on the road. But I know we tend to push ourselves. Your family and friends all want you to arrive safely, and you and Dick are both feeling your best!

Do you plan to leave after the 2nd since you have a dentist appointment? I hope and pray that you both will only need appointments while on the road. So, take great care of each other, as usual.

Yes, I am looking forward to that hug in person soon. You will be near my area so that we can plan something. We can take a picture and post it here for our forum members. I know @Sally Hoffman and @Terese Tuohey met for luncheons, and I can’t wait to see their pic in Florida this year.

Travel safe, and Merry Christmas to you, Dick and Cloud!

• jen-cueva

December 19, 2023 at 1:24 pm

Everyone, please keep our lovely @Colleen and her family in your thoughts and prayers. They could use some extra positive thoughts and vibes right now, as if they didn’t have enough on their plate. Last night, I heard from Colleen that she, Cullen, and her dad were all sick. Cullen went to the doctor yesterday and should get results today.

Later last night, she texted me that she had just called the ambulance for her dad, who was doing pretty rough. She asked me to pray, and I did. I tried contacting her earlier for an update, but nothing yet. Of course, she apologizes for missing the forums, but like me, you all want her to care for herself and her family first.

I’ll update you when I learn more from her. Poor Colleen could use a break. Let’s show her the great love and support she gives us in the forums. We love you, Colleen, and we are wrapping you, Cullen, and your parents in our arms and covering you with prayer.

• Roger Bliss

December 20, 2023 at 9:04 pm

So sorry to hear about Coleen and her family. That poor gal has had one issue after another. Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family. While she will be missed on the forum, family comes first.

• jen-cueva

December 21, 2023 at 11:41 am

Well said, @Roger Bliss ! I know she appreciates the support. Yes, she needs a break and some joy in her life. I just started a new topic discussion with her update this morning.

We love you, Colleen and thoughts and prayers continue.

• Colleen Steele

January 3, 2024 at 2:17 pm

Thank you @Roger Bliss ! Everyone is finally out of the hospital. I appreciate the words of support!

• Carol Volckmann

December 19, 2023 at 4:58 pm

Collen, Cullen, Collen’s Dad are in my prayers πŸ™ sending love ❀️ and wrapping you all up in positive vibes! You are so loved by so many. I cannot say enough, find the right words … we LOVE you!

• jen-cueva

December 20, 2023 at 11:50 am

Hi, @Carol Volckmann. Thank you for your kind words of support for Colleen. Yesterday, she informed me that everyone tested positive for the flu. Fortunately, her father was admitted to the hospital but was later discharged and returned home in the evening. Colleen messaged me that she was heading to bed to get some rest. I hope to receive an update from her today, but in the meantime, we can continue to send our love, hugs, and prayers to help them feel better soon. Colleen needs to take care of herself and rest as much as possible.

Colleen was excited to receive the little Christmas tree she had ordered for her room, but I doubt she could set it up due to the flu. @Colleen , we want you to know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We hope that everyone will recover soon and be feeling better by the time Christmas arrives. I am telling Santa to give you and your family a break. Love you bunches, my FWW and friend.

• Colleen Steele

January 3, 2024 at 2:15 pm

@jen-cueva I did eventually get my tree up and in time for Christmas. It was no little tree! LOL! It is a 6ft artificial pre-lit tree. Cullen was so funny as he watched me decorate it! He said, “Um mom, when you said you got a tree for you bedroom I thought you meant a small tree for a table!”. Nope, I may not be able to get in and out of my closet easily but it has been so worth it! Thank you again for the beautiful ornament, Jen!

• jen-cueva

January 4, 2024 at 3:01 pm

Wow, like Cullen, I thought you meant a tabletop tree, too, @Colleen! Then I saw the picture you shared with the ornament last week, and I thought it looked much larger than I anticipated. Hehe.

Kudos for you for getting it up with all you have been trying to balance, my FWW and friend! ☺

• Carol Volckmann

December 20, 2023 at 8:25 pm

Hi .@jen, please do update us on Collen and family. She is in our thoughts, prayers and sending her warm hugs full of love ❀️. I hope Santa heard you and is going to make sure Collen and her family have a very Merry Christmas πŸŽ….

Love coming your way too! Big hug πŸ€—.

• jen-cueva

December 21, 2023 at 11:30 am

Thanks @Carol Volckmann , I just started a new topic discussion with an update and prayer request for Colleen this morning. My poor sweet friend, needs some peace .

I appreciate the love and hugs. my dear PHriend! I’m sending some right back to you. πŸ€—