Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Where on Earth is your happy place?

• Where on Earth is your happy place?

Posted by Colleen on July 28, 2023 at 5:38 pm

Where is your favorite place to visit and why? Is it a place that fills you with peace, joy, perhaps fond nostalgia? Most important, how accessible is it to you?

Last week I was in Wisconsin to hold a memorial for my husband. On my last day there I took my son to Holy Hill, which was a favorite drive and place to visit for his dad and me. It was as peaceful, beautiful, and spiritual as I had remembered it.

Many amazing areas at Holy Hill are accessible except for the main attraction which is the tower. But their website offers a live stream of the view daily. Had my husband known he probably would have logged in daily to feel the sense of peace it offers.

If you can’t physically visit your special place any longer do you find peace in visiting, there in your mind?

V.R. Peterson replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • jen-cueva

August 1, 2023 at 1:41 pm

Wow, Holy Hill is undoubtedly a beautiful place! It looks so peaceful. I know you also shared with me recently about Cullen and this visit to Holy Hill.

When you are feeling better, I would love for you to share the most fantastic part of your visit with Cullen to Holy Hill.

I tried to see the live view, but the site is under maintenance for that portion. Hopefully, I’ll remember to go back and look for this another time when it is working. It seems like such a peaceful and breathtaking place to visit in person.

Many towers like this are not accessible. I am going to think about my favorite place. Besides the beach, not sure where my happy place is.

Thanks for sharing this with us all, Colleen. I never heard of Holy Hill before you talked about it last week.

• V.R. Peterson

August 1, 2023 at 3:48 pm

My happy place was at the beach. I’d drive along the Jacksonville Beach shore in my ’53 Caddy during my last year of high school. A wonderful date would be my boyfriend parking on the beach, taking a dip in the ocean. After drying off, we’d sit in his car and watch the moonlit waves crashing on the beach.

Even if I ever return to Florida, I won’t be able to do that again because it’s now illegal. The beaches are much more crowded, and driving along the beach would be unsafe for the sun worshipers. Even though that was almost 50 years ago, I’ll always have my memories of the peace and solitude of the 70’s. Just thinking about it took me back. 😊

• jen-cueva

August 2, 2023 at 12:29 pm

Hi @mamabear007, I didn’t realize you grew up in Florida. Is that where you are from? Jacksonville is much more populated now, but your post took me back to the 70s. (I was born early 70s)

So many beaches back in the day were drivable. I know only specific beaches are open to drive on them today. In Texas, Crystal Beach was one; everyone would take the ferry ride there to ride along the sand.

They may eventually stop this because of many injuries on a major holiday weekend. Also, local Jeep clubs held their events there, and a few years back, two young kids were hit and killed. Unfortunately, they ran out in front of the moving Jeeps. Therefore, I understand if they do stop this option. It can be dangerous when the beaches are crowded.

As a younger chick, I enjoyed riding the beach and sitting along the bonfires at night. We did this many weekends, but it was not a busy beach back then.

Do you think you’ll ever go back to Jacksonville to visit? When was the last time you’ve been there? Thanks for sharing, Mama Bear.

• V.R. Peterson

August 14, 2023 at 12:43 pm

@jenc, I was just reading through this thread. I thought for sure I’d replied to you, but I can’t find it. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Jacksonville. The biggest draw would be driving on the beach, and it’s not allowed any more. Hubs has always dreamed of a trip to Key West, and he’s horribly jealous that I lived there for a few years. Unfortunately, I’m the one that always drives on unfamiliar or busy streets. Flying into Miami and then driving to Key West isn’t something I could do. I’m terribly afraid of heights, and I’d have a heart attack from fear before I even got a mile past the start of the 7-mile bridge. I can ride on the bridge, as long as I had my eyes closed, but I certainly can’t keep my eyes closed for 7 miles if I’m driving.

• Carol Volckmann

August 8, 2023 at 12:14 pm

My happy place is sailing in the US and  British Virgin Islands. Our happiest spot is off St. John a small cay called Waterlemon Cay. For years of sailing in the area Dick snd I would make it point to spend our first couple nights and our last two nights there. For years we would be the only boat at Waterlemon Cay – so peaceful so spiritual. We would like to think we would be able to go back one more time – we shall see. Whether we do or not, Waterlemon will always be a partvof our soul.