• What Vacations Have you Been on That Were Accomodating?

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 20, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Just this past week I was on vacation and took a cruise to the Bahamas with my boyfriend, parents, and 30 (yes 30, oxygen tanks). It was such a great trip and I wanted to share with you all how accommodating cruise ships can be for all types of disabilities.

Not going to lie, the start of the cruise I was extremely nervous. I was worried about the way my oxygen would be perceived by others on the ship and the staff, worried about what people would think of me, and worried about my ability to get around the ship with as little symptom flares as possible. The WORST time to have a flare up of symptoms would be while on vacation!

I am happy to say that through the whole experience, from getting on the ship and checking in, to being on the islands, and leaving today, it was amazing how they accommodated and made me feel comfortable and confident. The kindness of complete strangers was truly wonderful and everyone was more than willing to help us with bags, help us get to the front of long lines to avoid the waiting, and were considerate when it came to getting on crowded elevators. The staff didn’t look at me differently or question me when I ordered a few drinks at dinner with my oxygen on, and for once on vacation I felt as “normal” as possible. I forgot that I even wore oxygen because nobody seemed to be phased by it.

The cruise offered a lot of disability services, it was easy to walk around, many elevators to use on all the floors, lots of shows offered (that are good for those who have to sit more often and take breaks through the day), a pool deck with lots of shaded areas, wellness classes to take advantage of, mobility devices like scooters and wheelchairs if needed, and health services in case of an emergency.

I felt so comfortable, was able to relax and enjoy myself, and was so positive with the amount of care and support from staff and strangers on the ship. This trip really brought out the good in others and also gave me more confidence in knowing I can successfully go on a cruise.

Do you have any experiences with places to vacation that are disability friendly? What was the best part of any vacation you have been on that really accommodated you? What types of vacations do you find most relaxing and the best to do with a medical condition?

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 1 month ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Robin Taylor

August 2, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Brittany,
    Thank you so much for the info and encouragement! So far, I have only attempted driving to a destination and staying away from home for a week (with ten oxygen tanks, a POC and my oxygen concentrator). I have been wondering if there were any PH friendly travel agencies who could help with all the logistics of travel. I dream of going to Hawaii for our 30th wedding anniversary next June, but I’m not sure it’s feasible. Scotland is also on my bucket list. From what I’ve gleaned so far I would need at least 10 POC batteries and a concentator and possibly O2 tanks on the other end. Maybe a cruise might be my only option. Did you have a concentrator for your room or just tanks? Does anybody else have any other suggestions???❤️

• Brittany Foster

August 3, 2018 at 7:50 am

Hi Robin,
      I’m glad that my post was able to give you some encouragement. I have difficulty with flying so a cruise has been my best option. Driving to a destination and staying overnight also is good because I actually bring my charging unit with me because I don’t have a POC and I don’t have to worry about running out. The cruise didn’t have a concentrator and we weren’t allowed to bring one on. They say that the best way to do a cruise is to bring a POC with extra batteries. The cruise line that I was on (Royal Carribean) also allows people to rent a POC for a fee per day on the cruise that they have in their medical department on the ship. I think that the cruise planners helped out a lot and asked what type of accomodations I needed. A lot of people used scooters to get around and on my next cruise I’m honestly thinking about doing that for nights or days when there is a lot of walking because a cruise is definitely a TON of walking and I got pretty tired out after the 3rd day.

• Michael Morale

August 3, 2018 at 8:39 am

It is interesting that you talk about how accommodating cruise ships are when you go on vacation. I’ve been in a wheelchair all my life and that is something that I want to do. Being able to help you accommodate with 30 oxygen tanks is outstanding. A long time ago, cruising was only for the able-bodied, but now, those of us who have special needs are now able to enjoy our vacations like everyone else.

• Brittany Foster

August 3, 2018 at 8:53 am

Hi Michael,
      I would highly recommend a cruise ! The cruise planners help with disability accommodations too! There were so many people of all abilities on the ship, I didn’t feel awkward at ALL! Such a good experience. They even have specific rooms for those who need more space in their cabin!

• Michael Morale

August 3, 2018 at 9:00 am

This is definitely something that I’m going to look into. Thanks for all the good advice and the great discussion on this topic.

• Nathan Young

August 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Hi Brittany,

Sounds like you had a great time which is awesome. Its even better that everyone was so nice and accomodating for for you. I have thought about going on a cruise as my wife went on one before we met and she absolutely loved it. However, for me I can’t really bring myself to actually go on one. Not because I am afraid due to my Pulmonary Hypertension. For me its more about the thought of being limited on time at destinations as I don’t like to feel rushed or the idea of group tours and activities.

I am the type of person who likes to do my own thing without the constriction of having to feel rushed due to time constraints. Besides I highly doubt that they would allow me to throw a line off the back of the boat and do some fishing which is another reason why I can’t bring myself to book a cruise as I know myself if I’m around ocean water I wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation of dropping a line in to catch some AHI so I could make some fresh Poki and I hardly doubt that the cruise company would like blood running down the side of their boat from cleaning the fish.

What can I say I spent 3 years living in Hawaii as a kid with my grandparents on a tiny island in Hawaii called Lanai which is so laid back you feel like your stepping back in time as the island has only 3,000 people on it along with 2 tiny grocery stores, 1 gas station, no stop lights, and 1 school K thru 12. It used to be the biggest producer of Dole pineapples in the world. Most of the island outside of the tiny town of Lanai City is only accessible by a Jeep or another 4×4 vehicle. I spent a lot of my time riding my bikes with friends down to the beach or through the pineapple fields. When I wasn’t doing that I was either fishing for Menpachi with my grandparents or diving with my uncle.

With that said fishing and being on the water is as natural as a flower blooming in spring. So yes I do plan on doing a cruise just not on a cruise ship as I’m thinking of taking a few sailing classes to learn to sail on a cruising catamaran since I am looking to buy one within the next year or two. For me the idea of cruising on a private sailboat is extremely relaxing as I could sail to anywhere in the world and fish off the boat even while undersail and I can stop at exotic destinations and stay as long as I want without having to worry about time constraints.

I know for some PH patients like us they could never imagine doing something like that but if you think about it every sailboat on the market today have all the comforts of home with stoves, microwaves, fridge & freezer, tv, washer & dryer, and even full internet connectivity. Some even have autopilot so that you can still relax and not always have to worry about being at the helm. I think it would be fun to sail around the Caribbean and finding secluded spots to fish and relax and then cruise on over through the Panama Canal then sail to Hawaii as I still have friends and family there and then who knows maybe to Tahiti and French Polynesia.

While that isn’t anywhere comparable to a regular cruise on a cruise ship its still cruising as it doesn’t have all the onboard activities that a cruise ship has. However, it is not without its perks as you can stop at any destination you want to see while on your journey to far away places and meet new people and learn about different cultures. Not to mention that you can get into places that a cruise ship would never be able to go to allow you to see some beautiful natural wonders that you wouldn’t be able to see otherwise.

I know some would say that since I have pulmonary hypertension that I shouldn’t do something like that as I would be far away from medical care and to some degree that is true but while I’m at port at a destination medical care can be given anywhere in the world you are. Besides the way I see it is you only live once so might as well enjoy it and if that means risking my health in the event something were to happen while at sea then that is a risk I am willing to take because if something were to happen then I would at least know that I died doing something I enjoyed rather than at home or in a hospital bed. But that’s just me I know that not everyone sees things the way I do which is okay and I think its awesome that you had fun while enjoying the time spent with your boyfriend which is extremely important.

• Kathleen Sheffer

August 13, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Nathan, I think doing your own fishing trip might be a great alternative. A couple of my friends are fishermen so I know what you mean when you talk about it being hard to resist whenever you’re on the water! They often take fishing kayaks out, which sounds like a lot of fun (I’m hoping to join one day). If you learn to sail, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Day trips can be a great way to have a mini vacation without overdoing it.

I feel the same way you do. I’m willing to take some risks because I’d prefer not to die in a hospital bed! But with some research and preparation, I think we can always find a safe way to do the things we love.

• Brittany Foster

August 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Nathan,
      It was so interesting reading about your life and all of your experiences you have had. It certainly sounds like you have a lot of great memories! I love your idea about getting your own boat and doing your own cruising around. Fishing I’m sure is very relaxing. I have family members that love it and my boyfriend goes to unwind too. Sounds like something that would be good to get into even with PH! There’s definitely ways to make that happen and still take care of yourself in the process. I love your attitude and the way you describe things is amazing because when I was reading about it, it felt like I was there! I am confident you can make this cruising dream on your own boat happen. When there’s a will there’s a way, right!?

• jen-cueva

March 31, 2023 at 12:10 pm

In a recent column, a PH fellow columnist and patient with PH, @mike-naple, shares how he prioritized his health on a Disneyworld vacation.

Mike offers some excellent information for those planning a vacation. He also shares his fear of the unknown, which many of us relate to when we realize we may need to ask about disability accommodations. You can read his column here.

Thank you, Mike, for sharing valuable tips and experiences as you planned for your vacation.

What are your takeaways after reading this piece? Can you relate? If so, please share your comments.