Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Have you dealt with shingles and PH at the same time?

• Have you dealt with shingles and PH at the same time?

Posted by jen-cueva on August 6, 2024 at 3:04 pm

I recently had a shingles scare, but a combination of low-dose antivirals, Benadryl, a steroid dose pack, and Aquaphor helped me recover.

I’m not 100% convinced it was shingles, but I am grateful I was started on the treatments early, as my PH team said it can affect our breathing.

Have you dealt with shingles and PH at the same time? How did it affect your breathing? Let’s talk about this. 

Roger Bliss replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Roger Bliss

August 13, 2024 at 11:47 pm

I had a bad case of shingles in March 2019. It looked like the State of Alaska on the right side of my back with the Aleutian Islands going around my side to the middle of my stomach. I was short of breath, but at the time they thought my cancer was causing it. We now know it was the PH.

I don’t remember anything about my shortness of breath getting worse……BUT…….when you have shingles you don’t notice much else. 😁 They put me on Valacyclovir and Gabapentin to get rid of them. The side effects from the drugs can make you short of breath though. It took me a long time to get over them. I first got them in March and
    by mid May I remember them bothering me when I started back driving my
    dump truck.

When I told my Oncologist about shingles the following winter he pretty much freaked out. Told me it could be deadly for someone like me with CLL. Glad I didn’t know that before……might of freaked me out too.😉 I was told not to get the shingles vaccine and put me on Acyclovir to prevent them from coming back. I took it for a few years, but don’t anymore.