Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Side Effects and Symptoms 4 tips to improve breathing when you have a chronic lung disease

• kaye-norlin

June 7, 2018 at 8:19 pm

I agree with those four. I would also add that you should exhale while you are lifting anything, even your own body while climbing stairs, and inhale in between. This takes longer to get up stairs but you are less likely to plop at the top of the stairs. Basically, put your foot on the next step up, inhale, then exhale as you straighten your leg; repeat. Same thing coming down. use the same principal while getting up from chairs: inhale, then exhale and push to stand. There are videos on You Tube that teach how to breathe from the diaphragm which help tremendously; you learn them best while lying down, then sitting, then standing, then moving. Also “smell the rose and blow out the candle”, in through the nose and out through pursed lips; it is calming, lowers your blood pressure and can be done anywhere.

Push out your belly which goes against everything I learned growing up: suck in your gut so boys think your attractive. What nonsense!

Never hold your breath; it makes your blood pressure go up!!!!!!

Increase your lung capacity by opening your chest. sitting in a chair, reach behind you and grab the back of the chair. Inhale and push our chest out, squeezing your should blades together; take 2 more breaths and release. Do this several times per day. Walk upright, stand straight, don’t lean forward (which I have to watch when I walk) because it does decrease your lung capacity.