• Barostim Neo System

Posted by Colleen on August 30, 2019 at 7:21 pm

The FDA has approved a new device to help the symptoms of heart failure in patients. It’s called the Barostim Neo System and according to the article it, “…includes a pulse generator that is implanted below the collar bone and is connected to a lead that attaches to the carotid artery in the neck. After the device is implanted, a physician tests and programs the device, which delivers electrical impulses to cells in the neck called baroreceptors, which sense how blood is flowing through the carotid arteries and relays information to the brain. The brain, in turn, sends signals to the heart and blood vessels that relax the blood vessels and inhibit the production of stress-related hormones to reduce heart failure symptoms.”

Have you heard about this new device and what are your thoughts? I wonder if it will be safe enough to use on patients with pulmonary hypertension.

Here is the link to the article.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-device-improve-symptoms-patients-advanced-heart-failure

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jen-cueva

September 2, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Thanks for the information, Colleen. I had not read about that device yet.

I think that is could be beneficial for many with Herat failure when other options were not effective.

AS far as PH patients, I am unsure. Reading the potential side effects, lowering of blood pressure was the main one listed. I know for myself that may be a big deterrent as my blood pressure remains below normal already.

I also read the requirements and I am grateful to say that my ejection fraction, (EF), is higher than their mention of 35%. Mine is actually around 50%.

I am hoping to read more as they study others who have it implanted for awhile.

• V.R. Peterson

September 3, 2019 at 12:32 pm

I hadn’t heard of the device, Colleen. Thank you for the link to the fascinating article. It’ll be interesting to learn whether or not this device will work on heart failure caused by the various aspects of PH. I’m always amazed at the constant advances in modern healthcare.

• Colleen

September 3, 2019 at 12:38 pm

@jenc and @mamabear007 when I re-read the article it sounds like something PH patients might not be able to use. As Jen mentioned, especially since it lowers blood pressure. However, changes and improvements to the device are always a possibility. It’s just always interesting to read about new advancements. It gives us hope for what’s to come.

• V.R. Peterson

September 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm

@colleensteele, my first thought was maybe after some more research, they’ll find it lowers pressure in the lungs, and might be used to eliminate the need for the PH medications that cause such side effects. Of course, that’s my overactive (and non-medical) brain kicking into high drive.

Edit: or at least allow doctors to reduce the dosage of PH medications.

• jen-cueva

September 3, 2019 at 3:36 pm

So true @colleensteele and @mamabear007. The advancements and technologies today are mind blowing. It is great to learn of new devices.

That is a excellent point@mamabear007. I think our minds tend to often be in overdrive. I either have that or brain fog. This issue is having both at once, Hehe.

• V.R. Peterson

September 3, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Now if we could just convince the researchers testing this device to start thinking they way we do. 🙂

• Colleen

September 3, 2019 at 8:38 pm

LOL V.R.! So true!

• jen-cueva

September 4, 2019 at 2:39 pm

HaHa, V.R., I know that is right.