Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums BioNews Content 30 Days of PH 2022 Day 16 of #30DaysofPH: Believe Me When I Say: It’s Not All in Your Head

• Day 16 of #30DaysofPH: Believe Me When I Say: It’s Not All in Your Head

Posted by Kevin Schaefer on November 17, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Brittany Foster shares her experiences with medical gaslighting. She received her pulmonary hypertension diagnosis seven years ago, but she dealt with doctors dismissing her symptoms as anxiety-related before that. The phrase, “It’s all in your head,” continues to haunt her.

Now, she advocates for herself and others so that fewer people experience medical gaslighting. She wants patients to receive respect and the care they need.

She writes, “I have since learned to advocate for myself as if my life depended on it. The reality is, I advocate for myself because my life does depend on it. I have learned to present evidence-based facts and bring medical records to every emergency room visit. I’ve gathered typed documentation signed by my care team listing and briefly defining each diagnosis I have.”

Click here to read the full story.

Have you experienced medical gaslighting?

Pulmonary Hypertension News’ 30 Days of PH campaign will publish one story per day for PH Awareness Month in November. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #30DaysofPH, or read the full series.

Colleen replied 1 year, 5 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Colleen

November 17, 2022 at 12:07 pm

It comes as no surprise that our @brittany-foster tackled a topic that is wide-spread yet not discussed enough! Thank you Brittany for raising such important awareness and encouraging others to advocate like their lives depend on it…because it does!