Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Dealing With Your Inner Critic When You Have PH

• Dealing With Your Inner Critic When You Have PH

Posted by Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator on April 4, 2018 at 10:00 am

In a recent column, Pulmonary Hypertension News‘ writer Brittany Foster talks about what it’s like to live with the disease — and the negative thoughts that invade her subconscious:

“‘You shouldn’t be sitting around all day. If you don’t get up and do something, people will think you’re just lazy.’

‘You shouldn’t use your illness as an excuse to rest and take a break.’

‘Why can’t you get the energy to go out for drinks after dinner like everyone else? They won’t want to go out with you anymore because you can’t keep up like everyone else.’

‘Why could you work out yesterday but you can’t even move today? Mind over matter. Don’t let this limit you.’

This dialogue sounds like an abusive, degrading, and extremely negative encounter. Although it may seem like these are being said to me by someone else, the truth is, these are the inner thoughts that I tell myself. Living with a chronic illness takes a toll on the body, but also affects the mind.”

Read more of Brittany’s column here: “Learning to Silence the Voice of Our Inner Critic.”

Do you find that your inner critic is hard to handle? Share your thoughts below. 

Pulmonary Hypertension News Moderator replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.