• Dealing With Sibling Rivalry

Posted by Colleen on August 9, 2019 at 8:00 am

Both of my children have always been the competitive type, especially when playing sports. When my oldest was diagnosed with PH and a few heart conditions he had to give up athletics. It was a hard loss for him and what I started to see happening was him competing with his brother in every other way under the son. There were so many battles between them as they would try to outdo each other in everything. Have you experienced an increase in sibling rivalry with your PH diagnosis and if so, in what ways?

As a side note…the brother’s are very close and best friends now. Their competitiveness has transitioned into something fun between them instead of the intensity that it use to be.

Brittany Foster replied 4 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Brittany Foster

August 9, 2019 at 8:49 am

Hey Colleen,
    Really good topic! I think that growing up with a CHD allowed my sisters to see what I was going through from a young age. But that did NOT go without sibling rivalry in one way or another. I think the hardest thing is the time that my mom takes with me in the hospital. I know that my sisters had to do many things alone that they wish my mom could have gone to. My sister who is 17 months after me (I’m the oldest) used to fight with me over girl things like clothes, friends, boys, etc. My other sister is gay with a whole other style so we have nothing to fight about lol! But I definitely think that having my siblings take me to appointments and getting that time with them just seeing what I’m going through and letting them hear it for themselves has helped tremendously with our relationships with one another. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the love from my siblings and I would do the same for them in a heartbeat. It took us all to be in our 20s and late 20s to get to this point! It was pretty rocky before that.