• dizziness/unbalanced

Posted by Libby on March 20, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Hi there- lately I have been getting random moments of dizziness where I either feel like I am swaying OR I completely don’t know where I am or who I am (like being disoriented). The episodes are very brief, not more than a few seconds and then I snao out of it. But today I got a longer episode and decided to use my pulse oximeter and sure enough my oxygen was around 89 which isn’t terrible, but for me it never goes less than 91 usually. I emailed my doctor but sometimes when stuff like this happens and the episodes are so short, I think I am imagining things! Anyone else experience this?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Kathleen Sheffer

March 20, 2019 at 5:24 pm

I experienced a lot of dizziness as a side effect of Remodulin and Revatio. It’s really scary and uncomfortable! You’re not imagining it and you’re right to bring it up with your doctor. What medications do you take? Dizziness is listed as a side effect of virtually every medication, haha!

• Libby

March 20, 2019 at 5:27 pm

That’s the thing, other than baby aspirin as a blood thinner, I don’t take anything!

• Kathleen Sheffer

March 20, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Are you able to check your blood pressure from home when this happens? I get pounding headaches and dizziness post-transplant when my blood pressure is too high. That’s the only other thing I can think of. Hopefully other members can chime in with their ideas.

• Libby

March 20, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Sadly I do not have a BP cuff but I sure need to get one!

• Brittany Foster

March 20, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Hey !
    I have experienced this when my oxygen levels are really low like in the low 80s high 70s. It’s like I can’t concentrate on what people are saying. Maybe the doctors can give you a pulse ox test for home where they can monitor your levels for 24 hours and see if supplemental oxygen could help you in these moments. Especially if it keeps happening. Like Kathleen said too, it could be your blood pressure fluctuating or your heart rate fluctuating too. Sometimes when my pressures drop or when my heart rate goes up too high in a short amount of time I get the same feeling. It would be a good idea to mention this to the doctor though and inquire about the test for oxygen at home if you’re thinking that you may be having more of these episodes or if they’re getting more frequent.

• Brittany Foster

March 20, 2019 at 5:37 pm

Also Libby,
    I know this probably sounds like common sense but making sure you’re properly hydrated is the first thing the doctors will probably mention! Checking blood pressure when you go from sitting to standing is a good indicator if you are dehydrated if you see a huge difference and drop in BP when you stand up. It can also be a sign of orthostatic intolerance and nervous system type issues. Do you see a neurologist?