Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Do Steroids Tend to Make You Hungry or Eat Less?

• Do Steroids Tend to Make You Hungry or Eat Less?

Posted by jen-cueva on June 3, 2020 at 1:21 pm

It is no secret that many of us tend to get chronic bronchitis along with PH. This time, I was given a Medrol dose pack along with my Z-pack. Usually, when I am put on steroids, either orally or injection, I tend to want to eat everything in sight.

But, with the Medrol dose pack, I am not having much of an appetite. That is more of my “norm,” but new for me on steroids. So, have y’all noticed an increase or decrease in your appetite when taking steroids? Have you found that it depends on the type of steroid that you take? If so, share the details below. Let’s talk about this.

v-r-peterson replied 1 year ago 7 Members · 31 Replies
  • 31 Replies
  • jimi-mcintosh

June 3, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Steroids make you eat like a crack head after an all night festival. It is necessary drug for the asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia. The sooner you start using it the quicker you recover. Try to keep seven 50mg in my emergency kit, along with PH meds, try to never leave home without them. Most
    Hospitals and ER’s do not stock speciality drugs. 2-3 days and you have titrate again

• Colleen

June 3, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Yup, what @jimi said, prednisone gives me an insatiable appetite. I just finished a round last month due to inflammation. Depending on how high the dose was when started I sometimes struggle with hunger for at least a week after the taper is finished.

I know my son experiences the same thing. He is on 5mg’s 2x’s a day for life post-transplant. His body has adjusted to that so it’s not an issue, but if increased for any reason, then hunger strikes again.

Prednisone is a necessary evil. It truly helps with inflammation whether lung related or from arthritis, but the side effects can get bad.

• jen-cueva

June 4, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Just so you know, @jimi, I almost spit out my water all over my screen reading and laughing! This is so true for me, usually on steroids, too. Sadly, this time it has not done that. I am guessing that because the Medrol dose pack is only 4 mg and I started with 6, 24 mg. I am pretty sure that the usual prednisone dosage, along with a shot is more powerful.

You bring up a great point, keeping our PH meds on back-up for our hospital bags. I go to a big medical center on Houston, and they just finally started carrying Uptravi this year. But, funny thing, they only give them 200mcg tabs, so I take 1600mcg. Yep, 8 pills each time, when at home, I have one pill for that dosage.

Thanks for the laughs-take care of yourself.

• jen-cueva

June 4, 2020 at 5:22 pm

Oh no @colleensteele, I do not think my hunger has hung around that long. But usually, steroids do make me want to eat everything I see and then some. @jimi said it best-hehe.

I tend to agree. Steroids are a necessary evil. They do the job!

• Colleen

June 5, 2020 at 11:45 am

Yeah, thanks @jimi, you made me laugh too!

• debra-eileen-williams

June 8, 2020 at 2:34 pm

I’m on a low dose of prednisone daily and have been for many years. I rarely have an appetite and sometimes have to force myself to eat. I hate it when I make a nice meal, take two bites, and realize I can’t eat it. I wrap it up a put it away and think that at least tomorrow’s dinner is done.

• jen-cueva

June 8, 2020 at 3:15 pm

Hi @debra-eileen-williams, isn’t it strange how we all react differently to the same medications? I think that it helps if you are taking a maintenance dose for long periods. I would think that your body adjusts. Did they ever make you hungry? Or, have you always had a poor appetite?

• jen-cueva

June 8, 2020 at 3:19 pm

@colleensteele, you cursed me, I think-hehe

I spoke too soon- this weekend, my appetite returned, and with force. I ate for 2 days pretty much anything I wanted. It wasn’t like I ate a ton, I just had a ton of cravings, would eat a little and move on. I contribute this to the after-effects of the steroids. Today, I am back to my usual. I was also thirsty constantly. Maybe it was my body making up for the lost time.

Maybe it was @jimi, hehe.

• debra-eileen-williams

June 8, 2020 at 7:25 pm

I’ve never had a big appetite, about normal most of the time. And when I got stressed, upset or just really busy I would eat less. Even when I started the prednisone it didn’t really increase my appetite at all, although there might have been a little less “decrease” when upset since the prednisone helped balance my hormones.

• russene-yount

June 8, 2020 at 9:33 pm

I laughed when I saw this! Currently on a short term prednisone course for congestion, and it either affects me with anxiety or extraordinary hunger–the latter this time! I’m trying to eat a fuller meal, and indulge a craving with a bite of whatever the craving is. This time I seem to be on a salty food kick, good thing I’m tolerating salt well at this time. Hey, the med helps and the cravings pass, and so shall this too!! 🙂

• jen-cueva

June 9, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for your feedback, @debra-eileen-williams. I know my appetite is not the best, usually anyway. But, it did kick in a few days after I stopped my steroids this time, lol.

Funny, I stress eat, meaning I eat more when I am stressed unless I have nausea.

I still blame, @colleensteele-hehe.

• Colleen

June 9, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Oh no! Sorry for jinxing you @jenc! Excessive thirst is also a side effect of prednisone. It can also raise your blood pressure and sugar levels, that’s why I hope Cullen’s dosage isn’t ever increased again because is already dealing with high BP.

Darn prednisone! It’s such a love/hate relationship that we have with it.

• Colleen

June 9, 2020 at 1:21 pm

@debra-eileen-williams you are lucky that you don’t experience appetite issues with prednisone. Do you exhibit any of the other side-effects, like insomnia or the jitters?

• Colleen

June 9, 2020 at 1:23 pm

@russene-yount welcome to the prednisone club! Fun times. Like you said though, once you finish the taper your body adjusts again.

• jen-cueva

June 9, 2020 at 2:00 pm

That is too funny, @russene-yount! The cravings are insane once they start-hehe. Mine has been salty and sweet snacks. I made break and bake cookies last night with M&Ms. I only made 6. @colleensteele, I thought of you. 😀

I also have times when I took steroids longer and have had emotional instability, like crying out of nowhere and also the increase in anxiety that you mention. Steroids are the necessary evil as they say.

• v-r-peterson

June 9, 2020 at 3:21 pm

Whenever I get pneumonia, I get steroids. They *always* make me hungry. And uber emotional. When I’m taking steroids, I hate everybody and everything. And I get puffy.

• jen-cueva

June 10, 2020 at 8:41 pm

@colleensteele, yes, I blamed you, but it resolved fast. Yes, another great reminder as those steroids raise blood sugar pretty quickly. I never noticed the thirst until the last few days. But, it certainly makes sense.

Oh @mamabear007, I am such an emotional mess on steroids.

• jen-cueva

May 25, 2022 at 10:40 am

Last week with my oral surgery, the dentist gave me a short dose of steroids. Gosh, I know those darn things are not my favorite. Not only have I been eating more and things I don’t usually like- I’ve been an emotional mess. I couldn’t figure out why and then thought of what had changed. I remembered the antibiotic, but then it hit me, those dang steroids. It was only a 3-day course, but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Colleen

May 25, 2022 at 11:21 pm

@jenc it sounds like you react to steroids in the same way I do. It doesn’t matter if it’s a short dose or a longer course the side-effects hit me hard. Increased appetite, mood swings and I also get insomnia and hot flashes. Do you get those too?

Any way, I’m sorry my friend. They do really help in the way they are supposed to though. It’s a real love/hate relationship. Did the 3 day dose help? How is your mouth doing?

• jen-cueva

May 26, 2022 at 1:23 pm

Hi @colleensteele, yeah, I guess so; those few days had me all emotional and hungry, but thankful that’s done. They did that after my oral surgery with the antibiotics. My mouth is much better, thanks. My lip is almost back to usual, and my teeth are cleaned. I still have sutures for a few weeks because they did a tiny skin graft after the extraction. Yeah, it sounds like it feels no fun, hehe. I’m thankful for numbing medicine.

The steroids probably give me more hot flashes, but I checked that off to age this time. Maybe that’s been part of my “funk” lately. I don’t usually get insomnia unless they split the dosage up. If I take it early AM, I am typically OK; the keyword is usually.

It seems like the steroids did what was needed; they said yesterday my mouth looked good, and sutures, too.

Thanks for your support always.

• jen-cueva

January 25, 2023 at 4:25 pm

Here we go again. I’m back on a Medrol(steroid) dose pack for bronchitis, plus I have a cold. I started them yesterday afternoon and have wanted everything in sight to eat.

Then add the nebulizer breathing treatments, which are also steroids. I ate more last night than I had in a few days.
    Then I’m awake at 2:30 AM, going into the kitchen because I have a massive headache. I take some Tylenol and start rumbling through the fridge like a big bear. However, I only had a few sips of water and went back to bed.

Today, I turned on the Food Network. This is such a bad idea when on steroids. I should order a pizza or Thai food. Oh, wait, no seafood or sushi. Yes, everything is in sight, and then some sounds good—time to switch channels and hopefully get a nap.

Please tell me I’m not the only hungry bear on steroids! The headaches seem worse than usual, and the hand tremors are worse post-COVID days.

• v-r-peterson

January 25, 2023 at 4:35 pm

@jenc, I’m so sorry you’re ill again. I’m praying that you get feeling better soon.

No, you’re definitely not the only hungry bear when on steroids. The few times I’ve been on them, I can’t stop myself from eating almost everything in sight.

• jen-cueva

January 26, 2023 at 11:21 am

Hi @mamabear007, I’m glad I’m not the only hungry bear on steroids. I decided I’m not watching The Food Network today. If I do, I’ll be wanting to order Door Dash or something with every craving. It’s so easy to do with a few clicks, minus the prices they charge for delivery.Hehe.

Thanks for your positive vibes, you’re so thoughtful. This, too shall pass.

• Colleen

January 25, 2023 at 4:47 pm

Darn it! I messaged you before going into the forums asking if you were able to sleep last night. It doesn’t sound like it!

I get aggressively hungry when I’m on steroids, otherwise no as hangry! I also get insomnia which means I’m up all night wanting food. You are definitely not alone with this side-effect!

Steroids are such a necessary evil. They really do their job but cause chaos as they do it!

Prayers for you continue Jen!

• jen-cueva

January 26, 2023 at 11:27 am

Hey @colleensteele, yes, not getting great sleep. This time it was 3 AM. I was up rummaging in the kitchen. Again, I was wide awake with a horrible headache.

Steroids are a necessary evil. They seem to be doing their job with my bronchitis, so as KK said last night, “Mom, you’re gonna get thick,” hehe. She knows those darn steroids make me like a ravenous wild animal.

Last night for dinner, I didn’t eat too much. But then something on TV showed fried chicken and corn on the cob. I almost got up and cooked my corn on the cob in the freezer. However, I tried hot tea instead. That corn on the cob may be cooking for lunch or a snack today. Hehe.

I appreciate your continued prayers and kindness, my FWW!

• terry

January 26, 2023 at 6:16 am

Jen,Mate, Now my avatar is not my usual handsome self but when I was on mega steroids . Next time I will show my before photo. Eat everything ,up at 3am , full of energy. I know . BUT look  on the bright side .All those wrinkles are smoothed out with the weight gain and you look younger . Might even get a few whistles up the street . What? you do already ! Oh well keep smiling

• jen-cueva

January 26, 2023 at 11:31 am

Hi Mate, @terry, wow, I recall the first time I was put on steroids and felt like the Michelin Man. Do you know who that is?

Like you, my face and entire body blew up like a balloon.

Hey, now, are you saying I have wrinkles? Dear Mate, I know your lovely wife has taught you better than telling a young lady her wrinkles will smooth out, LOL.

I was up at 3 AM this morning, so I know I’m not alone. Thanks for changing your profile picture to show me what happens when you take steroids. Now, I must say, you’re still the handsome Mate.

• jen-cueva

April 17, 2023 at 1:42 pm

I am on day 3, and my appetite has fluctuated this time. I’m on a low dose of steroids again. However, I am addicted to sugary sweets, it seems! Otherwise, things sound good, but I barely eat it when it’s time.

• v-r-peterson

April 17, 2023 at 2:33 pm

I hope you feel better soon, @jenc.

• jen-cueva

April 18, 2023 at 12:37 pm

Hi, @mamabear007, thanks for your good wishes. Today, I showered and noticed I wasn’t as SOB as I had been. These little steps remind me I am headed in the right direction.

For some reason, yesterday evening and this morning, I have not been as hungry as our buddy, @jimi, shared above. I still laugh when I read that comment. I doubt I’ll ever be on steroids and not remember his description. Hehe.

I believe you shared above you take steroids at times, too, Mamabear. Do you find your appetite fluctuates?

• v-r-peterson

April 18, 2023 at 1:11 pm

Oh yeah! Whenever I get pneumonia, the doctor puts me on steroids, and I get so hungry that I have to force myself to not eat everything in sight. Whenever I’m on steroids, I’m glad I live a 30 minute drive from the nearest grocery store. Okay, that’s not totally true. While I’m taking the steroids, I really wish I lived closer to the store. However, when my regimen is over, and I’m no longer hangry, I’m really glad I didn’t live close enough for a grocery run.

It has been several years since I’ve needed steroids. I hope it’s another several years.