• Do You Have an Air Fryer?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 1, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I have been contemplating getting an air fryer for some time. I usually do not fry foods at my house, but use the oven often. But, because it has been so hot, we are trying not to use the oven as much. My hubby bought an air fryer over the weekend.

Well, of course, the first night was wings and fries. I was so impressed! No flour, a drizzle of olive oil, and the wings were crispy and the fries, too. I love crispy, (well extra crispy) fries, hehe. Last night I cut up 2 chicken breasts, broccoli, zucchini, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. I drizzled a tad of olive oil and seasonings, and I cooked these for 25 minutes. Then I made a bag of steamable whole-grain rice, that was dinner.

The basket is simple to clean, too. This is a win-win in my book. I like easy-peasy.

Do you have an air fryer? If so, what are your favorite things to cook? If not, have you thought of buying one? Let’s talk about this.

jen-cueva replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Colleen

September 1, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Love our air fryer! The only issue is how tempting it is to make a lot of salty food with it. Wings and fries are our favorites to make in it too.

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2020 at 10:23 am

Yes, so true, @colleensteele. Trader Joe has some really good spices, like 21 Salute seasoning. I like that one, so when I go I get 2, usually. I am out now, so had been looking for recipes and found this one. You may like it, too. Of course, if you make your own, you can customize it more. I added lots of cayenne. I love spice.

This site is a low sodium site, so I am excited to look at some other recipes here, too.

I did enjoy the veggies that I made with the chicken, too. Tonight I may make some sweet potatoes like fries, I am still debating, lol. It still is a long way away, hehe.

What else have y’all cooked in an air fryer? You can eat healthy foods in it, too.

• Colleen

September 2, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Oh my gosh @jenc you and Cullen with the cayenne! I swear that kid adds that to anything he can. To be honest our fryer is our, “I don’t feel like eating healthy” go-to. It’s also my, “Make something quick,” go-to. Especially when the boys were teens and had friends over I would keep the freezer stocked with things they could throw in the fryer between meals. Things like, fries, onion rings, hot dogs, tater-tots, wings…oooh, and potato skins that you can buy in the freezer section. The potato skins are my favorite to make when I’m watching a movie…with a little sour cream. The fryer makes them so nice and crispy compared to nuking them.

• jen-cueva

September 2, 2020 at 1:19 pm

LOL, @colleensteele. Manny says he thinks my taste buds are gone some days. I like hotter food than he cares for, hehe. I also just added potato skins to my notes to add to my next grocery list. Thanks, I like those with sour cream and chives, Not the healthiest, but I can eat that in moderation.

I think it’s funny that you say it’s the go-to for non-healthy meals. I am looking at Pinterest and found many that are healthier and can be made in the air fryer. One is a simple chicken and broccoli. I also saw some homemade potato skins that I bet would take a bit of prep time but would have less sodium than the frozen ones. But, I know, too, frozen foods are often that quick fix dinner.

I think that you mentioned before that your husband is the main chef in the house. Does he like the air fry? I think I remember that he likes sous vide. I have not used one except that one time at our cooking class date. But KK, my daughter, has one and loves it.

• jen-cueva

July 12, 2022 at 1:08 pm

A few of you have mentioned that you use your air fryers often. It certainly helps in the warmer months if you use it instead of an oven.

Recently, I came across this site with some lower-sodium air fryer recipes and wanted to share them with you. I haven’t yet tried any of these sites. But hopefully soon. Check it out and let us know if you tried one and how you liked it.

Skip the Salt- Air Fryer

• Loera

March 9, 2023 at 8:40 am

I’m in love with my Air fryer, even if it’s 5 years old and doesn’t work as before. I usually cook chicken wings, french fries, fish, vegetables, fried cabbage and kielbasa, and baked goods like donuts or muffins. Air fryers are also great for reheating leftovers and making quick, easy meals without using too much oil or generating too much heat in the kitchen.

An air fryer is a great addition to any kitchen, especially during the hot summer months when you want to avoid using your oven. If you enjoy crispy, flavorful food but want a healthier alternative to deep frying, an air fryer may be worth considering. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully and experiment with different foods and seasonings to find what works best for you.

• jen-cueva

March 9, 2023 at 12:40 pm

Hi @jenefree, I, too, use my air fryer often. On Tuesday night, I made some cod in mine for fish tacos. I topped my tacos with a cabbage slaw mix, pico, lime, avocado, and a jalapeno cilantro cream sauce. I made some black beans on the side.

In your response above, I cleaned it up. If you were trying to share a fried cabbage and kielbasa recipe, can you try again or send me the link to share in your post?

Recently, we found a Cuisinart toaster oven/air fryer on clearance at Target. My old air fryer was starting to wear out. I use it several times per week. I prefer it if I can use it instead of the oven. Plus, it’s a countertop, so it does not require bending over which is not a great idea for us with PH.

I’m trying to keep my memory updated with your bio. You’re a caregiver for a family member with PH, correct? How old is your family member again? Are you in Texas?

Thanks for sharing your air fryer faves. Do you have any favorite heart-healthy recipes? I know I can air fry chicken and other meats without batter and oil, which is heart-healthy. We also use it to make dry seasoned wings that are yummy with veggie sticks and homemade or bought ranch.