Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups PH and Co-Existing Conditions Do You Have Autoimmune Disease and GAVE?

• Do You Have Autoimmune Disease and GAVE?

Posted by jen-cueva on September 23, 2021 at 9:32 am

One of our newest memebers, @cindy, has scleroderma and gastric antral vascular ectasia (GAVE), also known as “watermelon stomach.”But unlike what we would think, a belly shaped like a watermelon is more describing blood vessels in the stomach lining.

Cindy, please feel free to add to this from a patient perspective.

I had heard of GAVE but was not too familiar with it, so I looked it up. If you have an autoimmune disease and symptoms of blood loss, like anemia, this may be worth mentioning to your Rheumatologist.

It is also common with cirrhosis and kidney disease. From what I read, often, the blood is not visible.

Do you have an autoimmune disease and symptoms of blood loss? If so, has your medical team suggested testing for GAVE? Let’s talk about this and learn from each other.

jen-cueva replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Colleen

September 23, 2021 at 8:55 pm

@jenc I was thinking about posting about GAVE too after reading @cindy profile. I haven’t heard of GAVE before so I am interested in learning about it from Cindy if you are willing to discuss it.

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Yes, I know @colleensteele; it interests me. But I had only heard of the name, so I hope that @cindy will want to share a little from her experience with GAVE.

When you are ready, Cindy. No pressure.

• jen-cueva

September 24, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Yes, I know @colleensteele; it interests me. But I had only heard of the name, so I hope that @cindy will want to share a little from her experience with GAVE.

When you are ready, Cindy. No pressure.

• Carol Volckmann

October 1, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Jen I am so glad you brought GAVE up in the forum. I hope Cindy feels comfortable enough to share more of what she has learned.

My PAH was caused by Sclaraderma which has caused cirrhosis and no one yet has given me a reason why my tummy is so extended.

I will go on line and see what I can find out and also talk with my Rhumotologist.

Thanks again for shedding some light on this.

• jen-cueva

October 4, 2021 at 2:54 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, I thought of your tummy issues when I posted this, too. I should have tagged you, which I thought that I did. CRS popping up again, I guess, LOL

I would certainly bring it up at your next rheumy appointment. Let us know what you find out.

@cindy, would you like to elaborate on this topic a bit? How are you feeling this week?