• Do You Have Supplemental Insurance?

Posted by brittany-foster on February 18, 2019 at 8:20 pm

One of the hardest “struggles” that the chronic illness community has to deal with on top of their OWN CHRONIC ILLNESS is the struggle with insurance companies. I am grateful that I have a mom to help me navigate through insurance, argue with them about coverage of office visits and co-pays. Dealing with insurance is just a battle that the PH patient shouldn’t be taking the stress of.

I am past the age of being on my dad’s insurance which is Blue Cross of Mass. Because I am on disability full time and I’m unable to have a full time job, I am still covered under my dad’s insurance plan. I also receive supplemental insurance because of my disability. This is Medicare insurance. Medicare Part A helps with bills from the hospital (I have spent quite a lot of time here these past few months).

Do you receive insurance through your work? If it’s not through your own work are you on your parents/spouses medical plan? Do you get any type of supplemental coverage if you are on disability?

brittany-foster replied 5 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • kathleen-sheffer

February 19, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Brittany, I am still on my dad’s insurance, and hope to be able to stay on it when I turn 26 in April because of my inability to support myself financially. I also receive Medicaid insurance, and I feel really lucky to have that as well. Having dual insurance saves me hundreds of dollars a month just on copays for appointments and prescriptions. I have done so much research into different insurance options in the last year so I’m considering becoming an insurance agent…hah, no. But seriously it’s practically a full-time job figuring it all out! I frequently think about marrying someone for their health insurance. Anyone else?

• brittany-foster

February 21, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Kathleen ,
      That always gets brought up in conversation about marriage ! Like “but do they have good health insurance though?” I also have Medicaid but not full coverage on it, just for hospital stays which lately has helped a lot with copays and all that great stuff we have to learn to navigate through! As if a chronic illness wasn’t enough, right !?

• carol-volckmann

February 21, 2019 at 5:41 pm

Brittney & Kathleen and all those trying to find insurance that actually helps.

I am fortunate enough to be on Medicare Part A (hospital) and Part B (medical) but that does not cover all for sure. I also have supplement insurance with Premera Blue Cross of Washington state. And … United Health Drug Plan part D. All together they still don’t cover what I need and every year have to find Drug plan grants i.e. PAN PAF TAF for relief on copays. I guess being 74 can have jts advantages

One suggestion I think I would try if I were in your shoes is to call your Department of State’s Insurance and jf they were of no help, I would reach out to your State’s Senator, Congressman.

It is so difficult to navigate through all of this but unfortunately we have to! We need to be spending our energies through feeling better and finding quality in our lives.

One more thought of someone to reach out to … your State’s Insurance Lobbyist. He or she might be able to help. I know the one we have in WA and he was very helpful.

Cheers to us and our care givers- we will have qualty in our lives and we will find joy and laughter each day!
    HUGS,
    Carol

• brittany-foster

February 21, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Hi Carol,
      Thank you for reaching out. I have to say, your positive spirit is exactly what I needed today! You are so right that we must fight for the best quality of life for ourselves and it’s a shame that so many of us managing this illness on top of many other conditions have to fight so hard to get the care we deserve and the life we deserve. But, that doesn’t mean we EVER stop fighting. It’s people like you that reach out with your optimism and help keep the “fight” alive in many of us. These are such great suggestions. I am fortunate enough to also be on my dad’s insurance plan even though I am over the age of 26. With his company, I am allowed to stay on the insurance that he is on because I am considered to be financially dependent on him for my healthcare needs. This information you’re giving is so important though and I know it can help so many of us.

• Cris Dingman

March 5, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I have just gotten on Medicare and have a supplemental insurance policy as well. Prior to this, I was getting Letairis through a LEAP program, and, my prescriptions were very affordable. I recently checked on the supplemental insurance and my out of pocket cost is around 23,000… per month… Are they kidding? People make less than that a year. What do I do about this? Why is it so cheap on commercial insurance, but so ridiculously expensive once you go on Medicare and a supplement? Any advice?

• brittany-foster

March 5, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Hey Cris,
      I’m not entirely sure about this but I know that there are other members who have received different types of fundings from programs that are made to help with insurance costs and medication costs. I can ask this question in a separate forum and tag you in it and hopefully you can get some responses.

• carol-volckmann

March 5, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Hi Chris,

I am on Medicare and a suppliment. You are so right they do not cover the mega dollars our copays cover. I have found 3 different foundations that help with copays – almost covering all of the copays: TAF, PAF, and PAN .org of each.

You need to check every day (seriously) and check all three. When you get lucky and are approved it will be for a max amt for one year (except for TAF which will be unlimited).Towards the end of the year or you have used up the grant, you need to start over again till one of the funds open up again. You must be on top of this as a fund could open in the morning and be out of funds by the end of the day. One time I was on the phone going thru the process at just before we were done, the fund closed.

Good luck Chris, I am also on Letairis.
    My very best wishes for you!

Carol

• brittany-foster

March 5, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Hi Carol,
      Thank you so much for such helpful information ! Not only will this help Cris, but I’m sure it will help others on here too. Does this help with copays as well or just the payment on medications?

• carol-volckmann

March 5, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Hi Brittney, TAF PAN PAF all help with copays for meds – it is after all your insurance has been used. Hope this helps.
    All the best,
    Carol

• brittany-foster

March 6, 2019 at 9:49 am

Thank you for the information Carol! That definitely is helpful information !

• sherry-berry

March 5, 2019 at 10:44 pm

I’m covered through my husband’s insurance. In October I’ll be eligible for Medicare through SSD. That will be two years that I’ve been on disability. So well see.

• brittany-foster

March 6, 2019 at 9:51 am

I just got supplemental through disability because of the 2 year mark as well but I am thankfully still on my dad’s insurance. The medicare that I am getting, I chose to just have the part that covers the hospital billing. The plan through my dad’s company is really good with the max deductible before everything is covered. I think it is a little under 2,500 out of pocket which was already met for me in January.