Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Do You Struggle With Self Esteem While Wearing Oxygen?

• Do You Struggle With Self Esteem While Wearing Oxygen?

Posted by Brittany Foster on April 24, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Lately I have been struggling with self esteem while wearing oxygen out in public and my body has been fighting back. I find it easier to wear when I am doing things like grocery shopping, shopping , hanging around my family. But when it comes to wearing it around people my own age (26) and in a public setting such as a bar or restaurant, I struggle to wear it in fear of what others may think or say. Logically I know that it helps me, but a large part of me still is willing to take the sacrifice. It has been a struggle lately and I’m sure I’m not alone with these thoughts.

Do you struggle with self esteem when wearing oxygen ? How do you manage feelings of low self esteem as they arise ?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Pam Muell

June 18, 2018 at 4:02 pm

I struggle terribly!I have always took pride in my appearance and I notice some people look away like it makes them uncomfortable,I have had a couple of folks just come up to me to ask me about it,which I love!I am only on 2 liters during the day and 4 liters at bedtime.Sometimes I will take my oxygen off if I am going for a short trip or eating dinner at a restaurant.

• Dennis smith

June 19, 2018 at 9:45 am

Brittany, understand your concerns. I have been oxygen. Last two years. 24/7 and just said I would not let it definitely me.Only one at gym with tank,only one most places with a tank. Need to realize you do to life, life does not do to you. People if character will look through and beyond to

• Brittany Foster

June 19, 2018 at 10:44 am

Very true Dennis. Having a visible illness has opened my eyes up to the character of people and those who claim they are my “true friends”. Sometimes in life we have to learn the hard way about people and who we want in our life. I’m glad I learned these lessons though and am thankful for having experiences even the negative ones!