Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Support Groups Oxygen Users Do You Use Oxygen on the Beach ?

• Do You Use Oxygen on the Beach ?

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 6, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I know that lately the weather has been heating up. I have always been a fan of going to the beach when I was younger but it has been harder for me. I noticed that this weather has been putting more of a strain on my breathing even compared to last year.

This past week, I decided to lay out at the beach with a bunch of my friends and even though it was very relaxing, I was feeling the effects of not wearing my oxygen.

Usually when I am not active, my oxygen levels don’t drop. I failed to realize that sitting on a beach in the hot weather is quite a workout for our cardiovascular system and the lungs. Now, as a consequence, I am left with a pounding headache the last few days, an increased demand for oxygen and fluctuating oxygen levels and an increase in fatigue. I’m sure this is my body’s payback for me trying to tan and lay out in the heat without the oxygen.

One of the challenges for me is that I don’t feel the effects on my body until after when the damage has already been done. I need to be better at being proactive especially when it comes to oxygen usage. I have tanks for oxygen and I would be nervous about bringing them out into the heat.

What I’m wondering is, how do those with oxygen safely spend a day at the beach? Where do you store your oxygen or do you have any advice about where I can put mine so that it stays out of hot weather and sunlight? Do you bring a cord extension for your oxygen so you aren’t as confined to one spot? Do you swim with your oxygen and how? I would love to hear what others have done to spend some time at the beach and at the same time take care of themselves and wear the oxygen as needed.

Marjorie Okie replied 5 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Robin Taylor

July 9, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Hi Brittany! This is my first summer diagnosed with PH and on oxygen. I was an avid swimmer and have been figuring out how to be again. While I haven’t figured out how to do laps, I have figured out a way to enjoy my pool again. I need at least 4L C to exercise so I have to bump up to a larger tank so I can use a 25’ hose. I roll out the tank, lay it down on it’s side and cover it with a beach towel. The towel is for my mind…I’ve asked my oxygen guy about the heat and he tells me not to worry. This set up allows me to swim anywhere in the pool at 4LC or more. I realize this may be cumbersome for the beach, I have used my portable O2 set a 4LP to sit out at the beach or to walk slowly in the surf. It’s not perfect, but I’ll take it!!! Good luck, I hope you can find a way!!!

• Brittany Foster

July 9, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Hi Robin,
      great idea to get a longer cord ! I use a long cord for my house so I’m sure I could just do the same thing to be able to enjoy the pool. At one point I thought about using a raft and keeping the oxygen in the raft in the ocean and using the cord! Might be worth a try for me! LOL! Imagine people coming up to the raft thinking there is a child in there and seeing an oxygen tank instead hahaha! Maybe I’ll give my tank a bathing suit 🙂 Gotta have some fun with it!

• Iris Alexander

July 9, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I haven’t tried it yet but I saw someone else on oxygen at the beach post on Fb and she said she wraps her tank in cold wet towels to keep it cool

• Brittany Foster

July 11, 2018 at 6:22 am

Iris,
      good suggestion ! I can imagine that would be helpful! Do you use tanks or a POC?

• rosemary martin

July 10, 2018 at 9:22 am

No thought of going to the beach on a sunny day. However, I am determined to get into the pool. This is a community pool so i can not run hose lines for people to trip over. The best idea I’ve had so far is to use the portable (which only goes to 4 not continuous) in trouble already in a 6 pack cooler and have it float along with me as i try to exercise with a noodle. The past few weekends (i still work) i have done nothing buy lay on the couch with my feet up.

• Brittany Foster

July 11, 2018 at 6:24 am

Hi Rosemary,
      When you figure out a good float to use with a POC please let us know ! I was looking for something that wouldn’t let too much water in ! They should make a waterproof casing with like a tube around it for the pool for people like us! I should talk to a pool toy maker and see what they can come up with! That would be pretty cool to design something for the tanks !

• Marjorie Okie

August 29, 2018 at 12:23 pm

I am planning to go to the ocean for the first time while on oxygen. I have difficulty walking and use a cane or rolling walker. I will have to use my walker for a distance on a pier then climb down a set of stairs to the beach. I just want to wade in the water. I can’t get up from the sand so I am hoping I can stand for a bit leaning on my daughter. I will have my little tank in a shoulder sling. Any tips?

• Brittany Foster

August 29, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Hey Marjorie,
      I always like to take a high beach chair with me! That way I can sit while putting my feet in the water. Of course, I try to have someone carry it for me. Definitely bring people with you for support (literally). Also make sure to have a good amount of shade so you can get out of the sun when you need to. The sun really has been making me more tired than usual so the beach umbrellas have been my best friend! Also make sure to have good hydration and plenty of snacks! I hope you have a great time!!! If you have a longer cord or one that you use as an extension, bring that so you can leave your oxygen on the chair and go towards the water without having to have the oxygen right near you and you have more freedom to move around! Let us know how it goes!

• Marjorie Okie

August 29, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for tips Brittany! Can’t afford a high beach chair, they are expensive but thanks for all your tips.