Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Life Challenges Mental Health Does Recalling Medical Information Trigger Any Anxiety?

• Does Recalling Medical Information Trigger Any Anxiety?

Posted by Brittany Foster on July 26, 2018 at 12:30 pm

In my newest column coming this week, I write about PTSD and how it has led me to experience avoidance symptoms. According to the Mayo Clinic, “symptoms of avoidance may include: Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event and avoiding places, activities or people that remind someone of the traumatic event.” Both of these types of avoidance influence how I advocate and take care of myself. 

It has always been hard for me to go to new doctors or to emergency rooms because even though the information of past medical history and recent medical history is all in the computer systems, they still will ask me tons of questions about it. I’m sure many doctors, especially those that are in the ER are not as familiar with the conditions that I have. This is why they are curious and will ask follow up questions about it. After explaining it to them, their responses are usually along the lines of “wow you are so young to have gone through all of that” or they ask, “were you born with all of that?”  ” Is that part of a genetic condition?” In the moment they are wrapped up in their own curiosity but many fail to realize just how much effort it took me to explain all of my conditions and talk about them.

Managing avoidance around discussing my conditions is difficult, especially because I find myself in situations where I HAVE TO talk about my conditions in order for a doctor to get the whole picture and understand the complexity of everything. This is for my own best interest to receive good care. Even though I may seem like a pro at reciting my medical history and talking about the many surgeries, I am still experiencing and sometimes recalling the trauma that happened with them. Sometimes my heart rate beats faster when talking about it, I get sweaty, feel more short of breath, and truly feel my anxiety bubbling to the surface.

Something that has helped me with this is having a doctor write out a list of my medical history, surgeries, current medical conditions with explanations for each one, medications, and doctor contacts. Although they still ask follow up questions on ones they are unfamiliar with, having a piece of paper with all of this written out has really taken off a lot of the stress that comes along with recalling it.

Do you experience difficulty and anxiety when recalling medical conditions and surgeries? What symptoms of anxiety do you experience when doing this? How have you managed these symptoms and helped yourself through this type avoidance?

Brittany Foster replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • VK

July 29, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Simply put, avoidance is the reason I don’t get enough out about my conditions to a doctor during a 5 minute visit interview. The past 2-3 years, I haven’t gotten in the spotlight the fact I’m feeling more short of breath as I get older, because I know it means a decline towards death.

But, avoidance is natural when it comes to dealing with trauma. Don’t blame yourself for these psychological symptoms – They are human nature.

FYI: Although your medical history is already in the computer systems, doctors typically will re-ask you about it to verify that the computer records are correct, especially when the records show serious conditions/issues.

Though, most of those insensitive questions are ideally met with (I don’t personally recommend this, it’s just an ideal) an extended finger, and I don’t mean pointing.

On the other hand, we need to consider the opposite. What if a doctor doesn’t ask/doesn’t care about our conditions? I’ve also had that happen and with disastrous results.

• Brittany Foster

July 30, 2018 at 9:38 am

VK,
      So true. This is definitelt part of human nature and it’s a normal reaction to trauma and stress. When avoidance keeps me from getting medical care though that’s when it becomes problematic for me. And you’re right. I’d rather them ask then not ask follow up questions about it. It doesn’t make it easier to explain while in the midst of anxiety, but it’s good of them to show they care. I’m sorry you’ve had experiences where they haven’t even asked. That must be terrible. Thanks for your comments and responses! 🙂