Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums PH Care and Treatment Exercising With PH Exercising inside VS Going outside

Tagged: ,

• Exercising inside VS Going outside

Posted by Mae on May 25, 2020 at 1:42 am

Hey Everyone,

I normally try and workout everyday inside my home and while working out I get out of breath but push through so I can meet my fitness goal. But I have found that I have a harder time when I just step out side to walk the dogs which is not as extensive as my inside workout and have wondered how that would make me more out of beath. Keep in mind that I live in Florida where its hooter than the average state. Do any of you guys face any challenges between indoors and out door activity?

jen-cueva replied 3 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Melissa Brown

May 25, 2020 at 11:10 am

Hi,
    I’m so glad to have a another fitness goal-setter to share things with. I have had a similar experience sometimes here, mostly that I push through the out of breath parts too. I live in Wisconsin, and recently I have had more shortness of breath outside (I’m walking my dog also) and I’ve wondered if is the increased humidity outdoors compared with the inside of my house. I can’t remember if it happened before we got humid here. I also have fairly mild asthma and in the past have had it get worse outdoors when it was humid. My PCP said that humidity does affect asthma that way, so I wonder if that is the case here.

• Mae

May 26, 2020 at 12:07 am

Hey melissa,

Thanks for sharing some feed back and yes that definitely makes sense. I also notice I get out of breath if I take hot showers too. So its all coming together more clearer now lol. I hope you continue to keep your fitness level up, its definitely not always easy with PH but its good to do as much as you can. Is there certain types of workouts you enjoy doing the most thats easier on you?

• jen-cueva

May 26, 2020 at 8:33 am

Hi @owensgirl1, I live in Texas so that I can relate to the heat and humidity. The humidity certainly makes it harder for me to breathe. I lived in Southern California, and I could do much more outdoors. Here, most of the summer, I am stuck indoors with the AC on.

I have been trying to do some type of exercise inside a few days per week. I do a Yoga video on YouTube and some stretches with resistance bands. I recently updated an exercise post in our exercise sub-forum and will share it.

We have several members like yourself and @ewesonu who like to exercise. I know for me, I have to start slow and pay attention to my body. Of course, my PH team approves any exercise first.

https://pulmonaryhypertensionnews.com/forums/forums/topic/adapting-workouts-to-your-needs/

Adapting Workouts to Your Needs

• Mae

May 26, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Thank you Jen I will definitely check that out! I love find new ways I can stay fit. When I got layed off work due to covid19 I started feeling alot better and had more energy to workout. But now that Im back to working again my energy levels are low again. But still pushing through.

• Carol Volckmann

May 26, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Hi everyone and thank you Mae for bringing this subject up. I do much better exercising inside rather than out but have felt guilty about not doing enough outside with my husband. Everything outside seems to work against me – humidity, wind, uneven ground, cold, heat etc. I am able to do do much better inside where there is no resistance.

Before covid-19 I would work out at the fitness center and was able to really push myself. It is difficult to motivate myself to do work out at home.

• Mae

May 26, 2020 at 3:25 pm

Hey Carol,

Im happy to know it seems to be a very common issue with PH. I thought I was going crazy at first. But it does make alot more since after talking to you guys. I love at home workouts, Ive never been too much of a gym person. Everyone has their own preferences when working out though. Im happy you are able to find something you enjoy doing at the gym where you can reach your goals. Hopefully, soon the gym will open back up for you so you can get back at it.

• sherman jaffe

May 26, 2020 at 3:56 pm

I have excecise induced PH and have found that any additional stressor when excercising will affect my energy and endurance. Those include heat,humidity,freezing temperatures and even a beer. My rule is if any additional stress added to my routine
    makes me feel worse, stop now or I will pay later.

• Mae

May 26, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Hey Sherman,

Thats really good advice. You are exactly right when it comes to all those factors contributing to stress on the body.

• jen-cueva

May 26, 2020 at 6:58 pm

@owensgirl1, I do my exercises at home so far. We are all at different levels and have their preferences. But we all should be OK with some movement.

I am sure that working makes you exhausted. Do you work full-time? May I ask what type of work you do? My apologies if I asked before and forgot.

• jen-cueva

May 26, 2020 at 7:10 pm

Hi @cdvol3gmail-com, I totally agree with you. I often feel guilty that I am not doing enough outside. Each of the elements that you mention impacts how hard we have to work. Be kind to yourself.

Once you do get back to the gym, do not push yourself too hard. Pay attention and listen to your body. What types of exercises do you like to do at the gym?

• jen-cueva

May 26, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Hey @jaffesj, those factors certainly will affect how much we can do. I also notice that each day is different. Some days, I can do a bit of exercise. On other days, I do good to get out of bed.

I like what you said; you stop so you do not pay later. Listening to our bodies is crucial. If you are beginning exercises, maybe start with some chair exercises. Be sure to check with your PH team first.

• Carol Volckmann

May 26, 2020 at 7:28 pm

Hi Jen, the treadmill gives me the most bang for the buck. I am able to push myself with speed and incline. I teally liked the yoga class but too many of the excersises pulled on my subq site and then again on my IV site when I switched over. I am able to do stretching etc. but the treadmill does the job.

Thank you for your thoughtful advise to take it easy once I can get back to the fitness center.

Stay well and stay safe! ☺????❤

• Mae

May 27, 2020 at 12:25 am

Hi Jen,

Yes I work full time at night and I also have my 2 lil Im at home with during the day. My daughter is 8 and my son just turned 5. So not much sleep for me lol. I work in reservations on the beach as a shift leader. So the job can be stressful. especially this time of year even with the virus sadly.

• jen-cueva

May 27, 2020 at 8:47 am

@cdvol3gmail-com that is great that you find the treadmill helpful. Do you also walk outdoors since the gyms are closed? I realize that it is not the same. I never was a treadmill fan. I preferred to be outside. That was before my PH days.

Take care, are y’all back on the road yet?

I am sending hugs to you from Texas.

• jen-cueva

May 27, 2020 at 8:50 am

Hi @owensgirl1,
    Wow, you must stay busy. When do you sleep? I cannot imagine working and taking care of 2 young kids with PH. Are most days pretty stable for you as far as your PH? It sounds like you have to stay active. Do you have help with your little ones? I hope so. Take care of yourself; stay safe.

• Carol Volckmann

May 27, 2020 at 9:57 am

Hi Jen, I would much prefer outside. I was always outside, hiking,skiing, swimming – all things enjoying the outside made me very happy. With PAH it is more difficult to exercise outside.

After I caught pneumonia in AZ and State/National Forest parks were closing, we headed back to WA and have rented a house in Port Ludlow on the peninsular. We still have our motorhome but will call this our homebase.

We are staying safe and well. Now I need to check in with my doctors to see why I have an enlarged spleen. All my blood work has not given a reason, nor s bone marrow test – so now we have to check out my liver! I feel okay so it is quite strange – it may be my Sclaraderma.

Thank you for your support. I hope you are doing well and safe from the virus and … the severe weather!

Lots of hugs from here! ☺????❤

• Mae

May 27, 2020 at 11:44 am

Hi Jen,

I mormally just get few hours a of sleep at a time and nap if I get a chance during the week. On the weekends when my husbands off I sleep in. So that helps me alot. Ive found that my ph has good and bad days. But lately I have been feeling worse. Theres some days I have no energy at all and I just make myself relaxe more on my worse days. Is there anything you find helpful on your bad days?

• Colleen

May 27, 2020 at 2:06 pm

I’m late to the conversation but wanted to offer my son’s experience. @owensgirl1 I can relate to what @cdvol3gmail-com said about extreme temperatures of any kind being an issue with exercise. Humidity was very hard on my son’s PH but so was extreme cold. Both would make him feel like an elephant was sitting on his chest and even walking could sometimes be an effort.

We don’t have air-conditioning so indoor activity was often just as hard for my son. During days of high humidity he would often sleep downstairs to avoid having to climb the stairs.

I do want to add that PH medications might also add to your struggle with heat and humidity. Many of them do not do well in the sun and you have to be really careful about that. Not only can they increase your risk of skin cancer but it can make you feel ill and/or dehydrate you quickly.

• Colleen

May 27, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Excellent point @jaffesj. I know my son learned that the hard way. Sometimes he would also rest a lot the day before something he wanted to do that was going to be physically challenging. It helped keep the recovery time down a bit but not always. He often still payed the price for pushing himself.

• jen-cueva

May 28, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Oh No, @cdvol3gmail-com, I hope that you get some answers soon.

I can relate to you enjoying the outdoors. When we lived in Southern CA, I could enjoy more of the outdoors stuff. Of course, not as much after PH. But compared to what I can do outdoors here in Texas, I enjoyed it more there. When I visited AZ, the heat caused me to swell up like a “pufferfish” as my hubby says. But it was a dry heat, of course, compared to Texas.

Hopefully, things will start to open up a little around you. Here in Texas, they are opening pretty fast, but I am not joining in just yet. Thanks for your kindness- air hugs.

• jen-cueva

May 28, 2020 at 1:09 pm

@owensgirl1, I am grateful to know that you do sleep in some on the weekends. That should help. I find that taking things slower helps. On bad days, I tend to try to rest more. Those days you will most likely find me on the couch or in my recliner with my oxygen. PJ days are a must. I think that learning to listen to my body and slowing down on the good days helps. Some times that does not work, and I just give in and rest.

If you are not doing anything differently, be sure to let your PH team know about you feeling “worse.” Having more bad days than good is something that I tell my team. It could be a lack of sleep, overdoing, and/or stress. But also may mean that your team may need to adjust or change your meds.

• jen-cueva

May 28, 2020 at 1:12 pm

@colleensteele, you bring up some important tips. What Cullen experienced with the elephant on his chest is something that I can relate to. I know many PHriends who do, too. It often happens when I overdo.

The reminder about sunlight and our meds and dehydration are all things that we must remember when the steps start rising.

Like Cullen, I often try to rest extra before I have plans, that helps some times. Others, I still “pay to play” afterward. Then again, other times, I have to cancel. It is tough not knowing how you will feel when the date arrives.

• Melissa Brown

May 29, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Hey Mae,

Sorry I’ve been away from computer time for a few days. I used to really love going to the gym and doing small group workouts or team training. They are open again now, but I am not going because I feel very vunerable. They have good at home workouts available on line, and I was doing those almost every day, but then I had increased shortness of breath, not just while exercising but mostly at other times. I want to get back to it, but for now I’ve just been going for walks with my son and our dog. What do you like to do for working out?

• jen-cueva

May 31, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Hey @ewesonu, I hope that you are taking it easy as you take walks. Does your PH team know about your increase in shortness of breath? I am grateful to hear that you are listening to your body, we have to living with PH.

Have a great new week ahead.

Page 1 of 2